HSV : Need Sat and Value in Percentages

Origami

Hello all,

In the Color Picker, it's possible to display the HSV values.

The H ( Hue) goes from 0 to 360.

The S (Saturation) goes from 0 to 100

and the V (Value) also go from 0 to 100.

The S and V bars are not linear.

What I need is to be able to see the Saturation and Values as percentages instead of absolute values.

Is there a way or a plugin to do this ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

What do you mean by "not linear"?

As of now, I think the numbers do indeed represent percentages.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Let me give you an example.

If you go on the site www.hslpicker.com, you can pick a color you want.

Let's take for example the green with :

Hue = 94

Sat = 50

Lum = 50.

I do a screen capture of this page, and past it on Paint.NET.

If I use the Color Picker on the green square, instead of giving me (94 - 50 - 50), Paint.Net gives me :

H = 94

S = 66

V = 74

And when I use the Color PIcker on the Saturation or on the Lum sliders, trying to find where are the 10, 20, 30, ... 90 marks for both S and V, I can clearly see that the progression is not linear (the length it takes to go from 0 to 10 is much less than the length it takes to go from 90 to 100)

Is this clearer ?

What I need is to be able to have a color picker that gives me the same values as on the site HSLPicker.com (I am not affiliated in any way with this site).

Thanks a lot for your help.

post-91105-0-47363900-1343149746_thumb.j

Please note that there is a difference between HSL and HSV. I am glad the numbers don't match...I'd complain to Rick if they did :lol:

Try this one. It should match paint.net perfectly.

While the progression may not appear linear, I think it is from a technical standpoint.

I draw emotes a lot using hand-drawn gradients. I treat the HSV scale as if it were linear, and I can tell you it works quite well.

I don't have the know-how to make a plugin for you, but if you wait a little longer, there are quite a few forum users that should be able to help you with that.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Please note that there is a difference between HSL and HSV

OK. So, this is the reason why the numbers don't match.

But the problem is that I need to have a color picker that match the ones on the HSLPicker site.

So, to reformulate my question : Is there a way to have a HLS color picker (and not a HSV) in Paint.NET ?

Thanks

To my knowledge there is no way to input HSL values. You get to use either HSV or RGB as per the Color Window.

Even then there is a conversion going on between RGB & HSV so inputting one set of values does not always equal the other if you take the converted values and reverse them.

I.e. RGB converted to HSV isn't necessarily the same as the reciprocal HSV to RGB conversion.

Edit: You could try to work out a conversion using the formula on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV