Layer Masks

I've downloaded and briefly messed around with Paint.Net, and while you can work with layers, I haven't found a way to use layer masks. I used to exclusively use GIMP, but then I found out about Adobe Lightroom, so I bought that and have been extremely happy with it. However, I can't do any pixel editing to get rid of any phone lines, or people's heads, or any other item that is goofing up my photo. I didn't want to go back to GIMP (it's not the easiest program to use), but then I found out about Paint.Net and that it uses layers.

I assumed that it would also have the option to use layer masks, as a natural extension or feature of having layers. But again I can't figure out, or have found online, a way to create layer masks. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions on this.

Thanks.

Roger

Paint.net does not currently have layer masks, but the plugin Ella linked to is a popular workaround. It does the same thing as a layer mask. The only downside is that you can't see the results as you are creating your mask. Otherwise, it works very nicely

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• 5 months later...

Another way to fake it is to make a new layer and then make your color semi-transparent. Now paint the area just like a mask, then use the magic wand tool to select the desired area, turn your mask layer off, select the desired layer and you're done. :tard3:

When the newscaster asked about the mine worker pierced by a drill, the mortician claimed the victim was bored to death. -BombMaster
---

• 5 years later...