Add a front porch to a house

Hello:

I am interested in somehow trying to see what a front porch would like on the front of a house.

I wanted to be protected from the rain. Would like the porch to follow the triangle roof line over the door and come out about 3/4's of the way. Have the porch sit on two white posts.

Can paint.net be used to do something like this?

Any suggestions or step by step on how to create this much appreciated.

I am trying to learn how to use paint.net. I am complete novice.

Thank you

Eric

post-90780-0-00113700-1341439164_thumb.g

Do I assume that you drew a rectangle with the line tool, then filled it in?

no need. just increase the brush width ;)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Welshblue:

Thank you.

All of you out here are so talented.

Being a newbee, I understand the line tool.

But how did you use the drop shadow to get the depth? Where do I find that in PDN? Any tutorials on that? And what is "trail" on the uprights. When I was trying to do this I could not get the depth at all.

Any detailed instructions so I can try to reproduce what you did would be greatly appreciated.

What are you using to upload your finished picture? Photobucket.com?.

Thank you for your time.

Welshblue:

I understand you used the line tool. Besides drawing in the vertical lines, did you also draw in the ones at the bottom of each post going towards the back to give it perspective and depth?

Welshblue:

Thanks for the actual PDN file you developed. That is really helpful to have. I also downloaded all of the plugins you recommended.

I have started taking it apart to see if I can recreate what you did on my own.

I can see there are multiple layer3's. I have unchecked each layer to try and step through how you developed the porch.

I see how you first drew the two white posts by adjusting the brush width. Where I am getting stuck is the next layer3 where you put in some perspective to the right white post. I think you used the Effect>object>drop shadow but dont know what settings you used, and do you draw that in from top to bottom?

Also did you "copy" the right white post to make the left white post? How do you do that?

I am a complete novice so sorry for so many questions.

Thank you for your time.