Png and jpeg image formats - compatible together?

nicephotos

Hello there,

I hope someone is kind enough to help me with the following question:

A photo (a complex one with different layers) that was originally saved as a jpeg (100% quality)

but after changing its size, saved as a png, is now used on another png photo.

When saving the end result as one photo with the png format as well,

is that going to cause problems^^ with regards to print quality or not?

^^ As it basically means a kind of mix and matching of jpeg and png formats.

Many thanks for your help.

PNG is a far better format for print quality. I always save & print my finished work as PNG, the only time I use the jpeg format is for posting images on forums.

ZXCBOoZ.png

Once you load an image, the distinction between PNG and JPEG only exists as a little token that remembers this so that when you save it can do the right thing. Nothing else is affected. So yes, you can "mix and match" all you want when you're in Paint.NET. There's no such thing as a "png photo" or a "jpeg photo" when you're working in Paint.NET, except when you go to save.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thank you for your comments.

#nitenurse79 -- Exactly, I just found out about this, and for a certain project, where print quality is rather important, the png issue came along.

#Rick ---- So does that also mean, (despite of the little token remembering the distinction, like you called it)

that I could even save a photo in jpeg format today and tomorrow work on it and then save it as a png.

And vice versa perhaps again.

And when printing the final image, that was then saved again in a png format,

that the print quality would be as could as of one that was always only saved in a png format?

And it's the print quality I am concerned about.

I would have thought as Paint.Net is asking for different information when saving an image as a jpeg or a png,

that somewhere on this path, some quality would be lost. (?)

Thank you for your comments.

#nitenurse79 -- Exactly, I just found out about this, and for a certain project, where print quality is rather important, the png issue came along.

#Rick ---- So does that also mean, (despite of the little token remembering the distinction, like you called it)

that I could even save a photo in jpeg format today and tomorrow work on it and then save it as a png.

And vice versa perhaps again.

And when printing the final image, that was then saved again in a png format,

that the print quality would be as could as of one that was always only saved in a png format?

And it's the print quality I am concerned about.

I would have thought as Paint.Net is asking for different information when saving an image as a jpeg or a png,

that somewhere on this path, some quality would be lost. (?)

Unlike PNG, JPEG loses image quality when saving.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

...and EACH time you resave as a JPG you lose more quality. Just like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy......

Save yourself the angst and use PNG (it's lossless) except when final image size is very important (like a web image).

Png and jpg do pretty well together, but they can also get carried away at times when the liquor really starts to flow. :mrcyan::beer: