remove background white but not middle

I need to remove the background white from this picture and make is transparent but not the middle bit with the player.

Any ideas how I can do this?

I thought about removing the bottom rectangle and then putting an ellipse around it but it's not a perfect circle...it's flat at the bottom.

Also, I can't seem to get the perfect ellipse size or move it.

How do you select an ellipse once you've made it and resize it?

post-46824-0-98058500-1339592010_thumb.j

Edited by qwertyjjj

Draw your ellipse on a new layer ... use the move selection tool to get it to the size you want :MoveSelectionTool: (Pressing shift while you draw makes a perfect circle) Once your happy with the ellipse fill it with any colour. Use the Rectangle Select tool to cut it flush with where the sky sports circle ends.

Next duplicate your logo >>> go back to the layer with the filled ellipse >>> click outside the circle >>> go back to one of your logo layers and press delete on your keyboard. You can now delete the filled ellipse layer

Go back to the untouched logo layer and use the Rectangle Select tool to cut away the cricketer, leaving the skysports text >>> use magic wand to get rid of the white around that >>> Use AA-Assistant to clean up the edges

Done

Thanks.

Out of interest, why the step to cut away the cricketer? Couldn't I just use the ellipse select and paste that onto a transparent layer in a new file?

I got to the delete ellipse step but it didn;t seem to do anything, just left me with the original layer.

Next duplicate your logo >>> go back to the layer with the filled ellipse >>> click outside the circle >>> go back to one of your logo layers and press delete on your keyboard. You can now delete the filled ellipse layer

Can't seem to get that. I delete the logo but it just leaves a transparent layer.

When I delete the filled ellipse layer, I am just back to square 1 with the original logo.

print screen here:

post-46824-0-31945400-1339595179_thumb.j

post-46824-0-05198100-1339595361_thumb.j

Edited by qwertyjjj

The method welsblue describes is the recommended way of doing things and I use it a lot for more complicated graphics. In this case I'd fill the eclipse with black, cut off the bottom part, add another black rectangle to match the text rectangle and use that layer as an alpha mask.

However, I also use another way of doing things that suits this image well. It’s kind of the opposite of an alpha mask.

30mnuh2.png

(In the example above, the bottom two layers are not really necessary. It’s just my own way of making sure I keep a copy of the original image and use a high contrast background to check for rough edges)

1. Set your primary colour to white

2. Use the Grim Color Reaper plugin by Jotaf to remove all the white

3. On a new layer above, use the Eclipse tool holding the shift key to draw a perfect circle as close to the original

4. Use the Move Selected Pixels tools to fine-tune your circle in place and fill it with white (hit the Backspace button on the keyboard)

5. Use the Rectangle Select tool to select the cut-off part at the bottom of the white circle and press the Delete button on the keyboard.

6. Using the Rectangle Select tool, select rectangular area just inside the bottom “sky sports” rectangle. Make sure it covers all the text. Fill the rectangle with white (Backspace button again)

7. Move the top layer below the reaped layer and merge the two layers.

Xkds4Lh.png

The method welsblue describes is the recommended way of doing things and I use it a lot for more complicated graphics. In this case I'd fill the eclipse with black, cut off the bottom part, add another black rectangle to match the text rectangle and use that layer as an alpha mask.

However, I also use another way of doing things that suits this image well. It’s kind of the opposite of an alpha mask.

30mnuh2.png

(In the example above, the bottom two layers are not really necessary. It’s just my own way of making sure I keep a copy of the original image and use a high contrast background to check for rough edges)

1. Set your primary colour to white

2. Use the Grim Color Reaper plugin by Jotaf to remove all the white

3. On a new layer above, use the Eclipse tool holding the shift key to draw a perfect circle as close to the original

4. Use the Move Selected Pixels tools to fine-tune your circle in place and fill it with white (hit the Backspace button on the keyboard)

5. Use the Rectangle Select tool to select the cut-off part at the bottom of the white circle and press the Delete button on the keyboard.

6. Using the Rectangle Select tool, select rectangular area just inside the bottom “sky sports” rectangle. Make sure it covers all the text. Fill the rectangle with white (Backspace button again)

7. Move the top layer below the reaped layer and merge the two layers.

Ok, but now when I save the file as a jpg, it just fills up all the transparent space with white again?

Does it have to be a gif?

Edited by qwertyjjj

Select the White background with the Magic Wand tool :MagicWandTool: and press delete - PROVIDED the spectacles are on their own layer.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I have the same need to remove the white background. It was done once but I cannot do so now without distorting the smoothness of the image remaining when using the Magic Wand. The image is a WordArt object that I copied and pasted. The first one that I was given is a PNG format as I am familiar with that format's ability to keep the background transparent..Any suggestions without having to install any software? Thank you.

Greetings,

It would seem that the answer starts in WordArt not here in Paint.net.... I had one WordArt that had no background and one that I just created that did, both in the same Word document.. I just compared the two WordArts and the only difference I could see was that the first was marked, under Format WordArt, Text tab, as "In Front of Text". So I changed my new WordArt to the same copied it and pasted it into Paint.net and sure enough, only the fancy text image was pasted as I could see-through to the checkerboard background.

So a little lesson for all of us. I thank you for the suggestions and will still look into them for what they may offer for future needs.

Peace, LJ