Help a noob - What tool should I use to fix this picture?

Oho

Let me demonstrate with a pic. You'll probably guess right away what I want to do. Yeah I want to get rid of the square looking thing at 12 o'clock position. I can't figure out a good way to make it look good and get it done as fast & easy as possible.

Normally in situations like this I do a maximum zoom and use color picker and pencil and click each individual pixel and the result even then isn't very good, so I'm wondering if there are other and easier ways to do this? Like some kind of 'area color picker' or 'texture picker or some kind of spraying tool that would spray a texture from a chosen area. Do any of these exist or how should I try to fix this?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/howtofix34.png/

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Replaced overlarge image with link

It appears as though the oval was done using linear gradient. So start over and re-do the layer. Make sure you sweep from the center up and to the right to get the same angle and use grey as your primary color.

Select the bottom half of the image and copy it

Paste on a new layer and flip both horizontally and vertically.

Use the feather plugin to smooth out the edges

Go back to the first layer, select the area outside the oval, then return to the second layer and hit delete

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

...I was going to suggest that as well as an alternative but I didn't know if it would complicate it for him (he did say he's a newbie).

Select the bottom half of the image and copy it

Paste on a new layer and flip both horizontally and vertically.

Use the feather plugin to smooth out the edges

Go back to the first layer, select the area outside the oval, then return to the second layer and hit delete

In addition and prior to the above you will want to center the image in both directions.

It currently appears to be off center!

Edited by ventor1
naturesig.png

@Jim100361 Thanks for the help. I should've mentioned that what I want to avoid is redoing the gradient, cause I never did it myself and I like the way it is apart from the broken part located at 12o'clock.

@ventor1 I'm trying to custom mod my PokerStars tableskin, so that is why I don't want to put in on the center of the image as the PokerStars program would probably not understand that change

@pdnnoob That advice about flipping horizontally and vertically was really good, I did that and copied the flipped image over the bottom part of the picture. There are some sharp edges still inside the pic though. I'm new with the feather-tool. I just DL'd it and put it in my effects folder and have it show up under effects in Paint.NET too. Okay so I read that it only works if there's no background layer and the sharp edge has to be next to transparent area. I did both, but there's a problem, feathering doesn't fix the sharp edges inside the picture since they aren't next to a transparent area, so how to use feather-tool this way?

Before I ever used feather-tool I thought it's something like a paint brush type of thing that makes areas blurred that you draw/paint on, but seems like it will always edit the full area inside the selection (or rectangle select). So to me it seems to be doing exactly what I use Gaussian Blur for... Dunno if I'm using it right, they really seem like almost the same thing.

Here's what I got currently. Again need to find a way to fix the sharp edges inside the pic somehow, since it's not possible to do with feather-tool since the edges aren't next to transparent area.

currently.png

Edited by Oho

I love how you always use your own plugins for everything I see you do :D I don't use them enough, myself, but you're starting to give me a few ideas...

@Oho my quick mini-tutorial was intended to be followed pretty much word for word. If there wasn't any sharp edges next to transparent pixels, you merged layers too soon. Either way, I would follow Jim and Red ochre's suggestion. Red ochre has a few plugins that would work perfectly (as he showed) for your issue. Just click on the link in his signature and download them!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Okay. Ty for the replies Rec ochre and pdnnoob. I'll probably redo the gradient fully then and at least I learned that it's difficult even for good picture edtitors to do it the way was I was planning to do. Or at least to make it look as perfect as doing it fully with a gradient is dificult.