Equivalent for Poster Edges and Cutout?

EwanG

There are two things that still keep me on the Photoshop upgrade treadmill. One is working with my Canon RAW/CR2 files (which I'm hoping 4.0 will fix), and the other is my routine for turning photos into backgrounds. I'm hoping the latter is actually solved already and I just haven't found the right plugin.

In Photoshop I would import an image, crop and color adjust, then do a "Poster Edges". I would then up the brightness by 10 and the contrast by 30, then apply "Cutout" and you have an image that looks like a cartoon version of your photo - perfect for a game background (at least the type I do).

Is there a Paint.Net equivalent of this?

Thanks in advance!

Paint.NET 4.0 isn't including support for any new file types (I don't remember promising any?).

Sounds like it'd help if you posted some example before/after shots of the effect you've been applying. Maybe someone else knows how to do it in Paint.NET, or will be inspired to write an effect plugin. It's worth a shot right?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

there are actually several RAW filetype plugins. Example: http://forums.getpai...15611-raw-file/

I don't personally use them, so I'll leave it to someone more experienced to show you the best one

EDIT:

import image = layer>import from file

crop = make rectangle selection and press ctrl+shift+x

Poster edges = posterize (adjustment>posterize or ctrl+shift+p)

brightness/contrast adjustment = Adjustment>Brightness/contrast*

Cutout = I can't quite remember what this effect looked like in photoshop...I'll get back to it in a few minutes...

*Brightness/Contrast in paint.net is the equivalent to photoshop's brightness/contrast adjustment with the "view legacy" box checked

You may have to play around with the settings a little because the numbers don't quite measure things the same way between the programs.

EDIT2: I just checked up on poster edges and cutout in photoshop, and it isn't quite what I thought it was...

poster edges is more like the ink sketch (effects>artistic>ink sketch) in paint.net. Try a combination of the two to get the best results.

I got a result similar to cutout by using median (effects>noise>median), then posterize.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Paint.NET 4.0 isn't including support for any new file types (I don't remember promising any?).

I thought once upon a time you said there would be some kind of RAW support, or better support for RAW plugins in 4.0, but it's possible I just hoped you said that :-)

Sounds like it'd help if you posted some example before/after shots of the effect you've been applying. Maybe someone else knows how to do it in Paint.NET, or will be inspired to write an effect plugin. It's worth a shot right?

Before:

post-50962-0-99797200-1338684753_thumb.j

After:

post-50962-0-19000600-1338684799_thumb.j

Thanks!

If you have a copy of Photoshop 4.0 through 5.5 you could run those plugins (which are part of the Aldus Gallery Effects) using PSFilterPdn.

Starting with Photoshop 6.0 the Gallery Effects were rewritten making them incompatible with non-Adobe hosts.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait