Questions regarding textures, coloring and shadows

Hello, i'm new here, despite having known of paint.net for a few years. There are a few things i wanted to ask since i don't really find anything relevant to what i'm looking for.

1) Is there a simple and efficient way of applying a texture to a selection (minus alpha of course)? There is a plugin here that claims to do just that, but either i have no idea how to use it or it isn't working properly.

2) I sometimes want to color specific portions of an image that isn't layered, and if there are outlines, it only gets harder. Any tips about that or perhaps some plugin that can pick out a specific color range of pixels from my selection?

3) There is a plugin called Drop Shadow or something. It is really useful and well done, i'll give the author that, but it would also be better if there was an option to dump the shadow in a new layer below the current to allow easier manipulation later on. The current workaround is generating the shadow without the original image, copying, tracing the steps back and pasting in a new layer.

So there are for now. Oh, and one last thing: is a new version or at least an update coming out anytime soon? It's been a long while since i saw any changes.

PS: can't change avatar, links not accepted regardless of size.

Edited by Coornio

3) There is a plugin called Drop Shadow or something. It is really useful and well done, i'll give the author that, but it would also be better if there was an option to dump the shadow in a new layer below the current to allow easier manipulation later on. The current workaround is generating the shadow without the original image, copying, tracing the steps back and pasting in a new layer.

Here's the workaround I use when the drop shadow doesn't exactly work for my needs.

What I have done in instances like this is to duplicate my subject (duplicate the layer), then under Adjustments, I use the brightness/contrast to make my duplicate layer completely black (you may even wish to first make the duplicate black and white). Once this is done, I can now use this as my shadow by simply applying gaussian blur to it. If you have trouble getting it fully black (even after converting it to black and white) hit it with the paintbucket in black on the white areas.

By using this method, you can even set the drop shadow further back from the subject than what the plugin permits. For instance if you have a subject suspended mid-air (like text) you can have the text closer in the foreground and the shadow further back in the background.

Please rename your thread title to something other than the very generic "A few questions."

They are a few questions that are quite distant from each other, but i hope the new name is acceptable. Can't think of anything much better. :)

By using this method, you can even set the drop shadow further back from the subject than what the plugin permits. For instance if you have a subject suspended mid-air (like text) you can have the text closer in the foreground and the shadow further back in the background.

Indeed, but it was more of a suggestion rather than a question to working around ALL of it :P

True enough however, your idea is not bad either, it would be nice to have more control over how the image is cast, but i figure it can also be done without with the default tools.

Allow me to rephrase my second question:

I usually use outlines to help me color portions of an image, but i want greater control over it. I want to be able to color the sublayer without having to worry if i filled all the space correctly, especially with thinner outlines. Kinda like a frame where all the paint you throw on it disappears except for the spots you have drawn circles on.

Any advise you can offer? :)

If your frames are continuous around the area you wish to fill there should be no problem.

Use the Paint Bucket tool :PaintBucket: in conjunction with the tolerance setting and the fill mode. Set the tolerance to maximize the fill in the frame without washing over the edges. Set the fill mode to Contiguous (not Global) so that the fill stays inside the frame.

If your frame is not continuous around the area, you will need to make it so or the fill will 'leak' out of the gaps in the frame.

You can also use the Magic Wand tool to select the area first. Again use the tolerance to fine tune how much of the area is selected before filling it with the paint bucket.