Red ochre's diabolical drawings - update 13th Feb 2022 (last page)

Red ochre

Snake hand is tute-worthy IMO.

I love the flowers one the best but the symmetry one I like a lot too. Each one has a different feel to it but each one is well done too. The face one I'd like to see the shadow not so blurred. Very cool idea & of course the colours are super!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

@ Helen, - I know the thing you're describing - but can't think what its called either. - Thanks for the positive feeback too! - very kind of you to comment on my gallery at all - certainly no need to apologies for missing any updates. I'm guilty of not posting enough on other's galleries because I never know what to say.(and I'm lazy). :D

@ Jim - thanks ;)

@ Barbieq - comments on 'paperface' noted - I might revisit that idea and make the shadow more convincing. It's interesting to see which ones people prefer - I was most pleased with 'worlds within' & 'subrosa symmetry' - I nearly didn't bother uploading 'snakehand' and 'paperface'. :lol:

'Snakehand' relies on the brilliant 'alpha displacement' plugin - I will try to write a tutorial :/ ( the pictures will be easier than the text and links!).

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I've uploaded another 4 - based around the 'alpha-displacement' plugin. I also used 'custom brushes mini' and 'liquify' for the snake.

(Hand-drawing it would have been much quicker! - oh well, live & learn :D ).

I probably won't be writing a tutorial for 'snakehand'. There are already tutorials on how to use alpha-displacement and then use the 'displacement-mask' layer for shading. As long as you remember that the mask layer has to be a saved file (and the same size as the image it is applied to), and to tick the displacement checkbox and move the X & Y sliders - you'll soon get the idea!

Try it ... much easier than following a lengthy tutorial! :)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

The bubbles, the snake, the hand, and the flower piece...wow! Such superb images using the alpha-displacement plugin. I never really had a chance to properly test it out. Maybe I will some time. Keep up the amazing work.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

I don't know how I missed this thread, but damn.

Your art is amazing. My two favourite pieces have to be the snake and the scarecrow.

I love the snake it looks really great

omExTE6.png

The way you work and your understanding of plug-ins is truly amazing.The images you create are pretty astounding,my fav is the glass snake.I think I need to spend more time exploring the limits of the plug-ins.Yet again inspired and plenty food for thought.All brilliant new pieces.Nice one!

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Helen, Jerkfight and Dug :).

I've added another 3, at the top.

I proudly didn't use 'shape 3D' for digital universe! - but definately did for magic cube and little for wormhole.

I keep trying to update my plugin pack - then getting sidetracked into digital doodling :lol:.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Hi Helen - thanks,

The Magic cube one was quite easy actually - using Shape3D. Bottom layer with only back 3 sides on, middle layer object (a sphere of same image) and shadow, top layer, front 3 sides only. Starting image has to have enough 'holes' in it to be able to see the what's inside the box. The same could be achieved with 'layers/rotate and zoom' but would mean at least 7 layers and would be very tricky to line it all up, so shape3D makes it much easier. ;)

Thinking about it, I really should have put shadow from the front sides on the middle object - never mind! :)

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Fantastic gallery Red Ochre, I saw most of your work before, I just can't believe that I did put a comment all this time, so sorry mate.

My favorite is Norules, and the snake is so clever, I just tried it now before posting this reply, and it really worked so easily with the Alpha Displacement :)

I have been using the plugin for long time but never approached the way you've used on the snake, I am gonna keep eye on your gallery, you have some brilliant ideas.

I like how you thinking outside the box.

Oh Boy! You certainly are a master of the plug-ins. The latest pieces are amazing and that cube is fabulous, as well as the sphere and shell. Top notch work - well done. (I'm now off to check out how to use the alpha displacement).

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you Helen, Welshy, Barbie25, Yellowman, Dug and Nanette, for the kind comments. :)

I've uploaded some more at the top.

I've recently treated myself to a decent camera - but I don't understand it yet!

'Moonshot' was a very lucky 'snap', on full zoom, with suprisingly little hand shake (no tripod) and in between swathes of cloud.

Cropped and tidied up a bit in Pdn - a very lucky snap!

The 'geometry' ones are actually based on a pentangle,then rotated which brings out the cross shaped symmetry.

The other 2 are just playing around again :D

• Upvote 1

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Nice shot of the moon,that must be one cool new camera you have.I've tried to capture that shot a few times, but I never get the result I am after.On your other work, nice job. I especially like Logo for a new Religion,the colours all fit really well together and gives it an Indian(Asian) look to it.For me you have chosen the perfect title for it. All impressive stuff.

• Upvote 1

You took that moon picture?! Wow! That's just incredible! I love your geometric images--they remind me of stained glass windows. Your other abstracts are stunning. Great color schemes and patterns. :)

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

• 1 month later...

alienhillsthumb.png

I can't update my gallery for some unknown reason. If I add this one to the first page it loses all the links to previous ones? - oh well!

This one is all Pdn and since it is nearly a spacescape I'd like to dedicate it to Sir Patrick Moore - a great man who died today.

@ Many thanks Dug & Helen :)

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Always such a pleasure to stroll through your gallery again. The new one is lovely! What great ideas you have too. I love the flow of the buildings against the jaggedness of the landscape. The star completes it. Well done!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

First off, the painting is stunning! Wow! LOVE it. I looked at it a few times and then noticed the structures withthin the forest. Superb work. By the way, I found out the name of the game that I was talking about...the needle one that I mentioned earlier. It's called "Pin Point Impression Needle Art Frame." I saw it at Walmart the other day and I was like I'm going to tell Red Ochre about it. Well, I told this to myself, I wasn't telling that to random people, lol. ;)

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Thanks babieq25, Welshy, Dug and Helen.

I was pleased with the texture and colours of the hills. I then decided it needed some buildings. I first tried drawing these on paper and scanning in but I couldn't get them to blend in the way I wanted. Ended up using the method of color-picker/pencil and loads of 'smudge' to get them passable. I spent far too long on that, only to have photobucket resize it and loose all the detail anyway!
I quite like the creatures but agree they don't 'work' where they are. I think I was a bit bored with it by the time I got to the foreground.

I must find a more efficient technique for things like this - I certainly admire 'Pixey' , 'Aislin' and others for their patience using the mouse to draw with!
Anyway, many thanks for commenting - I'll put my gallery back in order when the forum code problems have settled.

& Helen, It's ok, I knew exactly what you meant from your description before - I remember them well - and I'm often to be found muttering to myself in shops too! :lol:

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That landscape is mesmerising - a pleasing vista indeed and very peaceful.  The tear/water drop is magnificent, so clear and pretty.  I noticed the eye in the surreal comp and was dutifully impressed.  Super additions to your impressive gallery :smile:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Clipwarphexmetal, liquidletters, metalpool & sapphire pieces are all so lovely! I agree with Welshy although you pc is safe for a while - bit of a wet drive for me in Australia :D

Wonderful comp entry too. Love your work!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012