Red ochre's diabolical drawings - update 13th Feb 2022 (last page)

Red ochre

Hello Sasha - I'm enjoying watching your progress with the tutorials - good work!

Hi Welshy - We've got dragons around here too you know! (see page one)

Nanette/Pixey - The work on the 'Alienhills' landscape made me realise how much work must go into your digital paintings - I'm more at home with a real paint brush than a mouse!

Barbieq25 - well Happy new year - must be strange living in the future :P

Thanks for commenting and I hope 2013 brings you good things.

Re: Tutorials - well when I publish 'clipwarp' I will give some instructions and some time in the new year will attempt a full tutorial.

But very complimented that you should ask :)

To all Happy New Year! whenever it arrives around the globe.

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Awesome! Aw, that really is so well done! I love the dragon & the glow, esp how it is reflected on the text. The texture on the glassy part is fabulous. It was very popular some decades ago. Bark glass?

In any case this is just so wonderful. A top-notch image!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Many thanks Welshy, Barbieq & Helen - your replies are always very appreciated!

They keep hatching out - so I'm keeping them warm in the oven. :D

I generated the texture by starting with an elliptical gradient with dents run on it, then running clipwarp to distort it by its own gradient.

Yes it does look a bit like the 'obscured' glass used for bathrooms.

Still experimenting!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

My dreams are even littered with Clipwarp images now :P.

Just love the new hatchlings <3 especially the first one.  Super!

Edited by nanettealsop
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

blackpenny - thanks for letting me know about the thumbnails not working. I've just spent all evening sorting them out - very annoying!

Thing is they broke all by themselves and lost the urls to the big images too, so had to re-do all over :(.

(better stop or this will qualify for 'rants').

Anyway - thanks for the feedback on clipwarp and the recent dragons ;)

'Pixey' - my nightmares are filled with forum BB code! - just kidding - glad you're enjoying 'clipwarp'. ;)

Sasha - thanks - good work on your 'compass' too! :star:

Dug! - congrats on the weird-award!  :star:- I'll have to become even more eccentric before next year's awards!

Re: plugin developing - I simply downloaded codelab, read BB's tutorials and ignored the bit about understanding C#.

It's not for everyone but I recommend at least reading his codelab tutorials - there's a lot to be learned about how computer graphics work & some simple but useable plugins to compile for yourself there too.

I hadn't programmed anything since my 'Commodore 64' - 30 years ago!!! - I did do 20 years freelance sculpting/illustrating (twee ornaments  :( ) but got feed-up with being underpaid and ripped off (made loads of money for other people). Currently a very lazy painter & decorator!

Drew' - thanks for commenting - cheers - loved 'warpular bells' btw. ;)

Welshy - I'd love to get clipwarp to be able to wrap a texture around an object convincingly - it works with big textures but really needs some form of smoothing - tricky. :/

PdnForumSig2.jpg

dragonroom2thumb.png menacethumb.png

sqirkhandskythumb.png cwcosinedetailthumb.png

4 new ones (still experimenting with clipwarp):

'dragonroom' - tried clipwarp using some greyscale images I made with sculptris (I'm not good with sculptris yet, but fun putting monsters in the house).

'menace' - running clipwarp on the same layer again.

'squirkhandsky' - used my old avatar as the object layer.

'cwcosinedetail' - what a catchy title! - can't really remember?

& Many thanks skullbonz.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Oh......my.....gosh! This is something! The dragon in the room is just unbelievable. Reminded me of the movie, "Abyss." The hand in the sky is superb, too. I especially like the depth in each Clipwarp image. A hint would be nice. I use Bevel selection for my images, but maybe there's something else.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Thanks Helen and Blackpenny. :)

Helen - Hints:
Bevel selection is not ideal for this, (Great for other things though and may even be useful after running clipwarp).

Ideally you need a smooth tone gradient on the object going from black to white (or vice versa). Now the plugin simply adds the values for Blue,Green and Red to get the tone, so if you are making a grey gradient there are only 255 shades of grey, (205 more than the book!   :lol: ). However this means you should be able to get a smooth gradient over an object 510 pixels wide - black to white and back to black again. Now the 'trick' is to get a smooth transition over objects with a varying width - eg. fonts with thick letters and thin serifs. The best method I have found is to use my 'object edge' plugin, two or three times.
1.- run object edge with a large blur radius with edge set to mid-grey and middle to white, both mix sliders fully right.
Ideally you want the very middle of the object to be white, all the rest mid-grey.
2.- run it again. This time with a smaller radius, the middle-mix slider fully left and the edge colour set to black and edge-mix fully right. - this should leave the white middle and just darken down the edges.
3. use 'Overblur' plugin - default settings (overblur slider = 0, retain transparency ticked) reduce the blur radius to about 2.
4. if neccassary use Adjustments/ brightness contrast to adjust.
5. feel free to adjust the object - I sometimes draw/smudge/blur the inside corners of text to sharpen them up a touch (look closely at the corners on the 'clipwarptonemap' example in the clipwarp thread).

On the dragonroom picture the head was made using the free 'sculptris' program, which produced a grey tone image on a black background - I removed this as clipwarp runs quicker on objects (it doesn't process anything if the transparency = 0).
Other than that I did very little to the object layer prior to clipwarp.

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

I have also found I get better results working with a large canvas size (1600 by 1200 is plenty).
Also good to copy a slightly blurred version of the background.
Sometimes useful to slightly blur the object after running clipwarp (small radius 'Overblur').
Sometimes useful to slightly increase the contrast on the object after clipwarp too.

The dragon hatching and in the fire used a scan of a drawing I did a while back. I 'prepared' this by making it an object and first blurring then 'overblurring' to get the gradient over each scale. I must also experiment with making 'plastacine/plastalline/clay' models and photographing them - (with one light source) - then using that as the oject layer.

I have also found backgrounds with a reasonably large amount of contrast are most effective.

Hope that helps.
Forgive the 'wall of text'.

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Another set of impressive pieces. It seams endless what you (everyone) can come up with using Clipwarp. I have taken a copy of your above post to use when I have more time.Hope you don't mind. I sort of worked out the gradient was important while I was playing around with the plug-in.Your above post will help greatly. Thanks for sharing your work and knowledge. :smile:

More eye-popping results from your amazing plugin. The dragon in the room is riviting.

I've been playing too, trying to make a sea horse, but am not getting such as good results as you! 

I'll now digest those notes you have so kindly written down.  Thanks so much for explaining :smile:

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Astounding! If that dragon has a baby can I have it, please?? It looks like you sculpted it from glass. I am having a hard time getting my head around the fact that it is an image not really 3D. The hand is great too. I like the other two but the dragon just steals the show.

Thanks too for sharing the notes. I will have to try them out very soon. :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 5 weeks later...

Holly Moly  drool.gif    I nearly fell off my chair when I opened up this.  Crikey - it's totally awesome.  There's some inside out and distortion mirror in there ? but the way the tendrils flow out is amazing. 

30b8T8B.gif