How to create a day night texture

I need help in creating a day night texture for use in FSX (Flight Simulator X). This is as far as I can get - lack of knowledge main reason!! In picture 1, I made a 64 x 64 pixel canvas. After putting the border around it, I used the magic wand on the inside and used the Alpha mask. Then I made a duplicate layer as seen in picture 2 and made a light brown tint. Then I used the flatten. But now I need a light to shine thru the window pane for a night effect. How would I do this? Would I use the Effect\Photo\Glow? How would I save the completed image as a _LM image?

windowframe.pngbrownwindow.png

Appreciate any and all help. Thank you

I'm not sure if you want your light source as part of the image or is it provided by the game engine?

I don't believe that there is a way to save the _LM image from Paint.NET.

Scratch that. The _LM file is a .bmp right?

According to this site: http://www.groundmaker.org/onlinehelp/Help/pages/other_textures.htm , you need to save the file as *_LM.bmp which needs to be an 8 bit *.bmp.

Paint.NET has had the ability to save BMP’s at 8-bit color depth since version 3.30. What you need to do is use File > Save As..., Enter the filename and select the BMP extension from the dropdown list in the dialog. Press OK. A configuration dialog should open allowing you to set the number of bits. Easy.

Note: You should first save a copy of the image as a *.pdn. This will preserve the layer structure and the full color palette (saving as 8-bit is going to reduce the number of colors to 256).