How to 'zoom-in' on a specific region of an image?

I often use Paint.NET while creating documentation for users of various computer applications, mainly working with screenshots. For awhile I've thought that instead of simply circling a spot on the image and labelling it with an arrow, it would might better to 'pull' that section of the image up, so that it appears larger and in-front of the rest of the image.

I'm not really sure how to explain this clearly (which hindered my efforts to search for the solution before this post), so I created a crude mock-up of what I'm trying to accomplish:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this technique used before, but don't know what it is called, or how to do it.

Thanks for any help.

Rick, I think you misunderstand.

I'm not trying to zoom in on something while I'm working on it. I want a specific area of the image to be enlarged, and pulled forward from the rest of the image behind it, so that the person looking at the image notices the area I enlarged, and that area becomes more prominent that the background.

(btw I deleted my post almost immediately because I quickly realized he was referring to something else ... but then NoahsMyBro was still too fast for me with his reply! I had suggested using View-> Zoom to Selection)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Nitenurse - that doesn't do exactly what I'm after, but it's a far cry better than what I can do manually and certainly puts me on the right track, thanks. It may be that there isn't a plug-in or built-in tool to do precisely what I'm after, and I'll just need to do at least a minimal bit of work myself. ;-)

YES! Now I feel dopey for not coming up with the word. I'll play around with it some more and I'm confident it will do the trick.

Off-topic - Rick - I couldn't figure out how to delete my obsolete response to you above. Am I missing something, or is that option not available to me because I'm new or not a mod?

-- Steve

Im not sure if this is exactly what you want but from reading your post I get this.

1.Load the image you want into PDN

2.Use the ellipse select tool to draw a round selection at the point you want to zoom. Hold down the shift key to keep it round.

3.Press ctrl+c to copy it then add a new layer and press ctrl+v to paste the selection on it.

4. Use the move selected pixels arrow ( the blue one ) click on the new layer to reveal the nubs on the selection and drag one of the corners while holding down the shift key.

5. use the outline object plug in to give it an outline and make it stand out.

Here's one I did earlier.

cat1-1.jpg

cat2-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...

Minners & NoahsMyBro:

Not sure if you are still following this thread. I can get everything to work until I get to the object outline. I assume you are using BoltBait's Object->Outline Object? If so, I cannot get it to work. Many of his other Object effects, such as Bevel Object and Inner Shadow work fine. Is there a step somewhere that I have missed?

Thanks,

Harry

20 minutes ago, acbex said:

Not sure if you are still following this thread. I can get everything to work until I get to the object outline. I assume you are using BoltBait's Object->Outline Object? If so, I cannot get it to work. Many of his other Object effects, such as Bevel Object and Inner Shadow work fine. Is there a step somewhere that I have missed?

Since they're using a selection, I imagine you'd need to use the Effects > Selection > Outline Selection effect.

And, this thread is really old--I'm locking it.  If you still have questions, make a new topic.