How do I remove the background from a pic?

I have a pic that I want to remove the white background from so I can paste the main pic onto some thing else. How do I do that?

Hoverkitties.gif

Be the kind of Woman, who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, The Devil say's OH NO, SHE'S UP!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."...Anatole France

If there is just a white background, I recommend checking out this tutorial:

For anything more complicated, check this tutorial out: http://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/cutting-out-images/

Hope this helps! If you need any more help in the future, I recommend trying out the Search functionality as many members have posted excellent advice on many common operations performed in Paint.NET.

signature.png

Uniform white background? I usually reach for AlphaSpace

Uniform white background? I usually reach for AlphaSpace

...or Grim color reaper or primary color difference or even the color replace tool

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Thanks for all the answers. I am still new to this so I think I'll need the tutorials, Not sure what to do with the Alpha stuff and what is a grim color reaper? And I don't see a color replace tool. I have installed BoltBaits pack but I don't remember seeing one there.

It's a standard white background from a pic that you might pick off a website. I want to use the graphic without the background

Edited by Beehindblueyes

Hoverkitties.gif

Be the kind of Woman, who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, The Devil say's OH NO, SHE'S UP!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."...Anatole France

AlphaSpace and the Grim Color Reaper are plugins. Think of them as add-ons for Paint.NET.

You download the plugin and install it by unzipping it and moving the files with the extension *.dll into the Paint.NET/Effects folder.

Detailed instructions here: http://forums.getpai...roubleshooting/

Color Replace tool is more correctly known as the Recolor tool :RecoloringTool: It comes with Paint.NET so you definitely have it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the help. I have been trying to do this and I can't seem to get it right, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Maybe someone could either tell me what I am doing wrong or just cut the person out of the background for me. I did everything the link to cut out images said but I can't get rid of the background. I used the line tool, drew around the image, used the magic wand and clicked inside the outline, then I hit Ctrl + I, to invert and then to the background layer and hit delete. But when I do that, it deletes the whole pic. it's driving me crazy! I want to cut her out of this pic, then I can shrink her and put her into an empty space in another pic.

I would appreciate any help possible.

Onthecorner.jpg

Edited by Beehindblueyes

Hoverkitties.gif

I did this very quickly with the lasso select tool :LassoSelectTool:

yhsjjie-57.png

If you were patient you could use the eraser to gradually remove the excess. A better option is to use Alpha Mask as detailed in the second of these threads on the much same subject:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/23559-

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/22801- (see post #12 in particular)

Thanks for your help EER, I will look at those links, I really am trying to learn how to do this.

Hoverkitties.gif