Here's a thought........

I really wish that a lot of the moderators and other members would be a little nice to people on here that provide tutorials and other information. Yes, I understand they may miss some vital things in some tutorials, however, is there really a point making negative comments about how you already know how to do things? Some of us don't have a clue and when we see a particular post that helps us learn something, we love that. That's what this forum is for.........not to show how big your "brain" is. All I'm asking is for the members to chill out with the rude comments and just enjoy it. Act your age, not your shoe size.

From what I can make of this, here's what I have to say:

Forum rules are meant to be followed. Every post has its appropriate forum section. These things are laid out clearly here, yet some never bother to pay attention to them. While new members may not realize this, moderators here have to deal with rule-breaking posts almost every day, and it can be quite frustrating. That said, please excuse the moderators. Some of them just might have seen socks on the floor and became crabby is all :/

On the other hand, I can't imagine why a member would have an excuse for being rude...but understand that there is such thing as a "stupid question." If the question has been answered (and the answer is easily accessible) and you ask it, in my book, while it is no excuse to be rude, it is a stupid question and should not be asked.

To sum it up, make sure you (as in any person reading this) read everything and give a reasonable amount of effort before asking ANY questions, whether it be about a tutorial or a plugin. Simply put, the answer may already be out there waiting for you.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

What the heck are you even talking about

I'm not psychic. I don't know what replies you're talking about. If someone's being a jerk, report the post using the little button.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

My guess is that the OP has read older tutes & may not be aware of the surrounding issues/context at the time.

I am not a moderator on this forum but I also get frustrated by the number of people that bang out a tute after one or two posts. These tutes are replicating previously posted tutes or write tutes that can often be done with one click of a button. Other times there are no images to guide the learner or images are scant or so big that it blows the download to bits.

People often think that moderators are superhuman & can stay calm no matter what. You're probably thinking of your dear old Gran. Same goes for other posters. We are all human & somedays we do a great jerk impression other days we manage the angel impersonation really well. Honestly, I have bitten off some heads myself - I got the Big Bird award this year too for being the friendliest soul.

Dude or dudette, we are all human & we all try hard.

PDNNOOB, be that there are no sock on the floor in pyrochild's room ;)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I am not a moderator on this forum but I also get frustrated by the number of people that bang out a tute after one or two posts.

I deal with a number of these so I'm probably to blame.

I do try to let them down easily, pointing them to the rules & guidelines.

That said - I don't recall being rude to anyone lately (on the forum I mean - in real life I can throw a tantrum!)

@ EER - I'm amazed at your patience! - same goes for the other mods and regular question answerers.

Just wondering if new forum joiners (who currently have to post 10 times before becoming a member),

should be confined to one 'newbie' thread? - This could also serve as place to catch spam.

It could have stock answers pinned to the top:- how do I select something, how do I make the background

transparent - png/jpg, installing plugins etc etc.

If the newbie poster asks an interesting question, posts a brilliant image or plugin and appears to have read the rules,

then the moderator could promote the new user and move the post to the relevant thread.

Only an idea - keep up the good work!

Off topic:

Personally I found the program extremely easy to get started with, due to Rick's clear design, especially compared to Gimp.

I don't understand how some people can do a difficult thing (registering and learning how to post on the forum)

only to ask a very simple question (which could be answered by looking through the forum or just exploring the program)?

Still, I often take the most difficult route myself! :smile:

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

We can't restrict new members to being able to post in the same thread 10 times ... then they'd just fill it with a new kind of spam until they got to their 10 posts!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Perhaps 'thread' is the wrong word - I meant section as in 'pictorium' or 'developers central'.

1. Genuine but often asked questions would still be answered if the user still can't see the pinned FAQs.

2. Spam posters and bots could have their accounts deleted.

3. Interesting/unusual questions or other posts could be moved to more relevant threads and the new user promoted to full member.

Only a thought ( I don't think most newbies would be offended and post 10 times if they were getting their questions answered).

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

While red's ideas have some merit to them, there are a couple of immediate problems I see, the most significant being that new members are not always here very long. Some simply have one thing to say before they disappear. They shouldn't have to post ten times or be approved simply to post an image in the pictorum (for example)

Instead, I think new members should have access to all the sections with one restriction: they cannot post a new topic in the tutorials section.

My reasoning is that many new members post in the tutorials section because they want to request a tutorial (it would be logical if there were no descriptions anywhere). If they cannot post new topics there, they have two choices remaining. They can either post their question in the other logical section (general discussion) or post something off-topic or out of place. After five or ten posts (hopefully) they will understand the forum better and the problem will not occur. Then, if the system can be made automatic (which, from past experience as a forum admin, is quite simple), all it does is decrease work for the mods.

I do realize that this would only solve one small piece of the problem, but I really can't see any one universal solution to all problematic forum posts. If there was such a thing, the first person to figure it out should win the Nobel Prize.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo