Advancedish Planet - V2

Mr.Bobert

This excellent tutorial is available for free download as a PDF. Click here to open or download the PDF

So, I was looking back at my old Advancedish Planet tutorial, and I realized with a start that it is two years old. Wow. It seems like only a couple months ago. Where did all that time go?

Well, wherever it went, I spent it advancing, improving, and otherwise adding more realism and/or coolism to that planetsculpting technique. So, since it's become a quite a bit better, I figured I'd share it with the rest of you. I hadn't realized how much work it would be. If they did one thing, those two years made me forget how kriffing long it takes to make these tutorial things. And this one has over two hundred images, if you take into account the fact that each image has a copy of itself. And the coding--oh, man. I'm not even going to go into detail on how blasted confusing that was.

But, anyways, how, exactly, did I improve it? Well, take a look for yourself.

example_of_technique.jpg

I'd say that's improved, no? This is what we'll be creating in this tutorial.

Well, enough of my rambling. Onto the tutorial. If you're considering undertaking this long planetsculpting quest, I would recommend that, if you haven't already, you do the old tutorial, first. Maybe even a few times. This one will be much easier to understand if you do. Even then, it might get a little confusing at parts. And if it gets too confusing in any part--namely, if I put the wrong pictures with the wrong text, which can be really confusing-- tell me where I dun goof'd and I'll try to fix it as best I can.

Alright, plugins!

Required:

Shape3D

Recommended: (Just get them anyways, really, it'll save you a bunch of time)

Random Lines

Single Hue

Color Filter

AA's < no swearing >istant

Smudge

Gaussian Blur Plus (Not necessary but just better and cooler)

Right, then! Let's begin.

Oh, and by the way, every single image on here can be clicked to be viewed at full size. Yes. All one-hundred-and-thirteen of them. Ugh. You're welcome.

This excellent tutorial is available for free download as a PDF >>

• Upvote 5

"Sir, we're surrounded!" "Excellent, we can attack from any direction."
1.png2.png3.png4.png

This is really quite an improvement! I still don't like the shores, but the textures are amazing! Somehow, I recognize the land texture...:roll:

Overall, a very well-written and inspiring tutorial. Nice work!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Yeah, the shores are in the top three of the things that I still want to improve upon. I can't seem to emulate realistic shores without it looking weird. The other two are the general shape of the planet (In comparison to, say, pr0 photoshop planets, it looks a lot smaller) and the clouds. The clouds never look perfect. But, hey, looks cool anyways, even if it's not completely photo-realistic. Gettin' there, too, I hope. :P

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Awesome tutorial. Your attention to detail is very impressive! :star:

I think this is worthy of a pin!

(interesting windows color scheme....)

Well, I can't blame you on the clouds. The only way to get those right it to get a college degree in meteorology D:

I usually use Lens on my planets to give some 3D effect, but a large part of the shape is based on the shadow.

I'm not so sure about it looking smaller...perhaps that is a result of the size of everything on your planet? Maybe you could try shrinking the elements of the textures a bit (ex: smaller cloud scale). As usual with making realistic images, more detail almost always makes a more realistic result.

As for the shores, I think it might simply be too sharp. Have you tried blurring the clouds you used, then using alpha mask instead of magic wand?

EDIT: congratz on the sticky! I got ninja'd by EER there xD

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Sorry about that 'noob :(

@Mr B - I like this tutorial so much that I'd like to make a special request: How about wrapping it up as a pdf and attaching it to the first post? That way we have a way of downloading it to work our way through it offline.

Wow, a sticky! Thanks, EER, that's awesome :D

I'll see what I can do about PDF'ing it, though I'll admit I don't know the first thing about how to even go about doing it. Never too late to learn, though. :P

(And yes, 'tis quite an interesting Windows theme. Custom XP theme, forgot where I got it, though I believe it's called 'Concave Dark' or something like that.)

And no, I haven't tried Alpha Masking it... Hmm, that just might work. To the Batcave! Drawing Board!

1.png2.png3.png4.png

I'll see what I can do about PDF'ing it, though I'll admit I don't know the first thing about how to even go about doing it.

The least painful method I can think of might be to simply copy & paste the entire post into MS Word. Then use a PDF creator (like DoPDF or PDF995) to wrap the print output up as a PDF file. Doing it this way will preserve all the formatting you worked so hard to develop boltbait.big_smile.png . The only thing you may need to do is resize or centre the odd image to make it fit the A4 page.

The PDF creators need to be installed first. You use them by 'printing' and specifying the pdf software as the destination (i.e. not your usual printer in the print dialog). They grab the output and create the PDF from it. You need to provide the location of the final file and the filename. Easy.

If you don't have any joy (or it's just too hard) please let me know and I'll do it on your behalf.

Wow, a sticky! Thanks, EER, that's awesome :D

I'll see what I can do about PDF'ing it, though I'll admit I don't know the first thing about how to even go about doing it. Never too late to learn, though. :P

Or even microsofts own publish to pdf or xps plugin for office word would work :)

Great tut, I'm going to have a try at this over the weekend. :star: :star: :star:

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

PDF of the tutorial added to the first post so users can view it easily offline :D

Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

Mine :

With cities

Without cities

Made one without cities cuz I didn't have much land on the night side - so I think the cities looked a little odd in the small quantity.

I also stuck a few *very* minor tweaks in there. ;)

GREAT tutorial, love the finished product.

EDIT:

Decided to take another swat - this time with an oldish-dying planet.

Result: Dead Planet

I ended up with something that looks like I took a watermelon's color scheme and made it into a heavenly entity. Bleh.

AND I chose the most HORRIBLE angle for the left/right ring - running right along the shadow made finding where to hide it hard. Anyhoo.

Still fun to make.;)

Edited by EXCELERATE

• 2 months later...

This is the most awesome tutorial I've seen here, and i have seen a lot (as a guest, not as a member of the forum)... and this is my try http://prntscr.com/9jga2 I combined it with jerry's Sun Tutorial http://forums.getpai...4-sun-tutorial/ plus I did a little change with the clouds, I duplicated the layer and inverted the colors in the bottom one, so it gave it a little gray in some spots... I also added a little shadow, which may or may not made it cooler :D

Oh and Excelerate, thanks for the idea for the for a dying planet :D

http://prntscr.com/9jggb

I just adjusted Sepia to the shores and water and instead of a blue color scheme I used red :)

EDIT:

I just made this http://prntscr.com/9jph0 with a moon based on your planet... just changed some colors and gave it a little detail and voila :D

Edited by EvErest

• 3 weeks later...

This is a really great tutorial- thank you!

I edited a lot of stuff about it, and came up with this.

Again, thanks.

'Civil disobedience is still disobedience.'

'↑ And that is how you confuse an atomic computer. ↑'

▬ Xžε⌐¡z○╖

• 1 month later...

A good tutorial. I like it but how about a planet that we make it just a line or a colored cloud like planet Jupiter and the rings are not one color only?

Thanks for the tutorial and the file, it will be my inspiration in the work.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome tutorial! :) Unfortunaetly I had some difficulties in certain steps. I had got stuck in a few places. I had to ignore the ring shadow in Paint.net. Anyway I was satisfied with the result. Although at times frustrated, I did enjoy the tutorial. :)

By the way, you should have made the tutorial in the daytime. :P

Please correct the problems and improve on the tutorial and please, when you are alert. :P

I hadn't much land on the shadow side to put cities. Also I did not want to put cities. I was thinking that this may be a small 'trade planet' where aliens or people mine special materials or a 'future Earth.' :P:)

Edited by Yusuf Zah

I enjoyed the tute as I had said before.

The texture looked almost realistic. It had that 'Earth' quality about it. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

The nebula method was almost perfect! :)

Please post another tute explaining how to make a 'Mars like' texture and how to make a planet out of it. And do not do it when you are sleepy. :P

Edited by Yusuf Zah

Thanks a lot! I experimented and tweaked some settings and made a planet with some resemblance to Mars. However I had not put polar ice caps and clouds. For the planet's texture I had used your tutorial as a guide. For the rest of the image I follow the tut and used Colour tint and single hue to change colours at various times.

Thanks! :) How do you like my Mars planet scene (without rings and cities)? :)

post-91413-0-36468700-1345871070_thumb.j

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...