Help with fonts

Hi there!

Im another former photoshop user now a paint.net noob that has joined ur fine community.

first issue.. which is really pressing at the moment (5am). i've spent hours working on a brochure. and after printing out a copy on my brand new color laser printer.the text looks bad!

its just simple arial 12 point font, nothing fancy but the text looks like its lost resolution or like its been zoomed in on. totally unacceptable for my clients.

when i print up other documents from the internet, microsoft word or photoshop... they look mint.

can anybody offer suggestions what im doing wrong? or settings? or is there a font smooth/sharp/strong function? (cant seem to find one in the program or tutorials)

i really dont want to start over. and i rather not do this in photoshop or microsoft word (shudder).

second thing i've been struggling with is the text workflow. It appears after the text is submitted into the workspace.. it becomes locked in and there is no way to format it again?

Is there a plug-in tool for a more user friendly plugin for text/fonts?

thank u in advance for any help!

(would it help if i uploaded a example? or linked an image?)

Edited by unplugged boy
No cursing, even if you censor it.

can anybody offer suggestions what im doing wrong? or settings? or is there a font smooth/sharp/strong function? (cant seem to find one in the program or tutorials)

Try printing it at a higher DPI (print resolution). You can find that option in the Resize function. You will probably have to redo your design so it'll be the right size. See, a design on a screen is at 96 DPI (dots per inch), but a design on a printout is usually around 300 DPI. Printers require a much higher resolution than monitors.

second thing i've been struggling with is the text workflow. It appears after the text is submitted into the workspace.. it becomes locked in and there is no way to format it again?

Is there a plug-in tool for a more user friendly plugin for text/fonts?

You're correct. Once a text box is finished, it becomes only pixels; essentially (if you're familiar with Photoshop), it is immediately rasterized. Your best bet is to put it on a separate layer, and use Simon Brown's "Re-Editable Text" plugin.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Try printing it at a higher DPI (print resolution). You can find that option in the Resize function. You will probably have to redo your design so it'll be the right size. See, a design on a screen is at 96 DPI (dots per inch), but a design on a printout is usually around 300 DPI. Printers require a much higher resolution than monitors.

You're correct. Once a text box is finished, it becomes only pixels; essentially (if you're familiar with Photoshop), it is immediately rasterized. Your best bet is to put it on a separate layer, and use Simon Brown's "Re-Editable Text" plugin.

ah.. thanks david!!!

apology about the language. just late.. and was a lil frustrated. =)