Can't move selection

sharpcrayon

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I'm on the right layer, selected some text with the rectangle, clicked the move tool & tried to drag the selection (have the little hand showing so I'm in the right corner) but the box just expands the contents. (I tried both move tools, although I've no idea what the difference between them is, sorry. Guess that's another question.)

I have used the move tool a little in the past, and it worked. Help?

"Just expands the contents ..."

Even when just grabbing the selection in the middle of the selected area and dragging?

I tried that, and the selection box moved but not the contents!

I tried that, and the selection box moved but not the contents!

Text is not fun for this. Sounds like the selection is on the wrong layer. But you stated you're familiar with layers enough to be aware of that pitfall. The only way I can reproduce that problem though is when the layer is wrong. For instance, trying to drag the selection on a transparent area. In that case all I will see is the selection outline move and no contents being affected. I'm sure you've deselected, restarted PDN, etc ... So I'm at a loss.

I should have addressed the other question though: The difference between the two tools is that one is supposed to do what you want, the other is supposed to do what you're seeing ...

:MoveTool: <-- this one will distort/move the contents of the selected area

:MoveSelectionTool: <-- this one allows you to adjust the selection without affecting the contents

**EDIT: Illustration of what normally is the cause. Note the highlighted layer or active layer is the wrong one to move the text. There is nothing on that part of the layer so it would seem to do nothing.

selectionlayers.png

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Text is not fun for this. Sounds like the selection is on the wrong layer. But you stated you're familiar with layers enough to be aware of that pitfall. The only way I can reproduce that problem though is when the layer is wrong. For instance, trying to drag the selection on a transparent area. In that case all I will see is the selection outline move and no contents being affected. I'm sure you've deselected, restarted PDN, etc ... So I'm at a loss.

I should have addressed the other question though: The difference between the two tools is that one is supposed to do what you want, the other is supposed to do what you're seeing ...

:MoveTool: <-- this one will distort/move the contents of the selected area

:MoveSelectionTool: <-- this one allows you to adjust the selection without affecting the contents

From your note, it sounds as if I could be doing it wrong--I created the text on a new layer, and am trying to move the text to another spot on that same layer, which is transparent except for the text I just created. Are you saying the layers have to be merged onto the background before I can move the text?

I'll also make sure I'm using the right move tool. Thanks a lot, by the way.

No it doesn't need to be merged. Layers are there to ensure you can literally create things that have their own canvas to manipulate each aspect without effecting the entire image.

If the text is on its own layer, just ensure you are using this tool: :MoveTool: and it should allow you to drag it where you want. Or if you grab the sides/corners it will distort/stretch.

I should have rephrased part of that as well. "Text is not fun" was for communicating what you are seeing, not that working with text in PDN is lacking in the jovial department. :lol:

And you're welcome.

**EDIT: without video capture I'm not sure how to show an example of it working as intended .... well I know how to show it without rather, but it would be way too many screen shots for my patience level atm. ;)

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

No it doesn't need to be merged. Layers are there to ensure you can literally create things that have their own canvas to manipulate each aspect without effecting the entire image.

If the text is on its own layer, just ensure you are using this tool: :MoveTool: and it should allow you to drag it where you want. Or if you grab the sides/corners it will distort/stretch.

I should have rephrased part of that as well. "Text is not fun" was for communicating what you are seeing, not that working with text in PDN is lacking in the jovial department. :lol:

And you're welcome.

**EDIT: without video capture I'm not sure how to show an example of it working as intended .... well I know how to show it without rather, but it would be way too many screen shots for my patience level atm. ;)

thanks again!

• 7 years later...

I've had this same problem, and I've discovered that I have to magnify the image for "move" to work.  When the area I'm trying to move is too small, I never seem to be able to get it to show the "move" cursor at all, no matter where I put my cursor in the selected area.