Change color

Babaso

Hi Everyone,

I am not a graphic designer by any stretch of the imagination, but I need to modify a very simple image and I am stuck right now.

I need to change the color from a yellow to a green. The image has some slight gradients in it where it goes from yellow to transparent.

I have the HEX code of the green that I need. The only way I have been able to figure out how to change the color in PDN is using the Hue / Saturation under the adjustments menu. However, it is proving impossible to get the exact color that I need.

Is there any way to change the color of the image by specifying the HEX value? Or even RGB?

I apologize in advance if this is a simple question, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help or guidance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Babaso, Welcome to the forum.

You should try the Recolor tool :RecoloringTool:

1. Set primary color to the Hex code for the shade of green you want to use.

2. Use color picker tool :ColorPickerTool: to select the shade of yellow that you want replaced. Set this color to the secondary color by picking the color using the right mouse button.

3. Wind the brush width up to 80 or something like that.

4. Wind the tolerance down to around 20%

5. Cover the image in sweeping movements of the mouse with the left button held down.

If the recolor does not change the yellow/transparent gradients, try adjusting the tolerance.

How's that?

2. Use color picker tool :ColorPickerTool: to select the shade of yellow that you want replaced. Set this color to the secondary color by picking the color using the right mouse button.

5. Cover the image in sweeping movements of the mouse with the left button held down.

If the recolor does not change the yellow/transparent gradients, try adjusting the tolerance.

How's that?

Hi EER,

Thanks for the welcome and the tip! I don't have time to try this right now, but I will give it a shot in a little bit.

Thanks again!

Babaso.

How's that?

Hi EER,

So I got a chance to try out what you recommended. It almost worked 100%. It did not change the gradients as you anticipated it might not.

I messed with the tolerance but anything above 21% and it would change the green to another shade. Anything lower than 20% (19% and lower) and it would convert less of the yellow.

The HEX color I am trying to convert to is 98C224 (RGB: 152, 194, 42 or HSV: 76, 78, 76). The yellow in the image is F6D40E (RGB: 246, 212, 14 or HSV: 51, 94, 96).

Below is a zoomed in image (1200%) comparing the original with the result after using the recolor tool at 21% tolerance. You can see that there are still some yellow pixels floating around. And I just noticed that in this image, the yellow fades to white, not to transparent. I got confused with another button. sorry about that.

recolor.jpg

Actually, I just tried it with another button that goes from yellow to transparent and it worked perfectly. Again at 20% tolerance. Not sure why the search button is giving problems.

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help thus far, I really appreciate it!!!!!

recolor-facebook.jpg

The difference is in the background (transparent in the second image and colored in the first).

We could get all technical with a number of recoloring / color replacement plugins - but what about first trying a second pass with the Recolor Tool?

You'll want to choose a green that is slightly lighter than the background color (=Primary) and the yellow that remains after the first pass (=Secondary). Lower the tolerance so you don't risk recoloring anything you don't wish.

The difference is in the background (transparent in the second image and colored in the first).

We could get all technical with a number of recoloring / color replacement plugins - but what about first trying a second pass with the Recolor Tool?

You'll want to choose a green that is slightly lighter than the background color (=Primary) and the yellow that remains after the first pass (=Secondary). Lower the tolerance so you don't risk recoloring anything you don't wish.

I understand now why the difference, thanks for the explanation. I gave it another go but it was not coming out very good. What I ended up doing was changing the two yellow pixels on the right hand side of the image to the lighter green that is on the left side. I then zoomed out back to 100% and it looked fine. You can't see the really light shades of yellow around the white unless you sit there and study the button, which I don't think anyone is going to do. Below is what it looks like at 100% zoom.

The OCD part of me would love to get it all green, but I just don't think it's worth the time right now. If you can suggest another way to do it without going color hunting for lighter shades, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all of your help!!! I REALLY appreciate it!

recolor-search.jpg

Edited by Babaso

What about rolling your own instead of recoloring that one?

The Webdings font has a nice magnifying glass (character 076)

To get it onto your image use the WhichSymbol+ plugin (link in my signature), or the text tool (font: Webdings, size & color to suit, type in 076 while holding the Alt key down).

Remember that text should go on its own transparent layer. Fill the Background layer with that shade of green you like so much :D

yhsjjie-36.png

• 3 weeks later...

What about rolling your own instead of recoloring that one?

The Webdings font has a nice magnifying glass (character 076)

To get it onto your image use the WhichSymbol+ plugin (link in my signature), or the text tool (font: Webdings, size & color to suit, type in 076 while holding the Alt key down).

Remember that text should go on its own transparent layer. Fill the Background layer with that shade of green you like so much :D

yhsjjie-36.png

Great idea! Thanks very much for your help!

Another satisfied customer :D Glad I could help!

• Upvote 1