How can I draw a cool looking sun?

Does anyone have any advice on how to draw a cool looking and realistic looking sun? I've made a couple of planets after reading Mr.Bobert's planet tutorial, and thought I would try making a whole solar system, but my sun is just a bit bland looking and so am looking for pointers on how to make it look cool.

post-88404-132801293411_thumb.png

signature1small.png

It's funny that you're having a problem w/making a realistic sun because coincidentally, I too would like to improve upon the image I created as well (primarily the sun). I actually like yours somewhat better than mine.

Here's the image I posted in my gallery (maybe it may have something in it that might be helpful - possibly a touch of gaussian blur?):

earth_day4.png

It's funny that you're having a problem w/making a realistic sun because coincidentally, I too would like to improve upon the image I created as well (primarily the sun). I actually like yours somewhat better than mine.

Here's the image I posted in my gallery (maybe it may have something in it that might be helpful - possibly a touch of gaussian blur?):

Yeah I did use gaussian blur and dents in the hope that it would give it a little bit of a firey look even gradients and different layers in different colours, but I'm still not happy with it.

I'd also be interested in how you did your moon, if you would care to share?

signature1small.png

If your sun is made up of more than one layer, merge them together so that you blur them together. You should come up with something like this:

earth_day5.png

As far as the earth and moon images are concerned, in my gallery I posted a couple links for the earth and the moon. Download the images, resize then down to like about 40%, then use the Shape3D on each one.

If your sun is made up of more than one layer, merge them together so that you blur them together. You should come up with something like this:

As far as the earth and moon images are concerned, in my gallery I posted a couple links for the earth and the moon. Download the images, resize then down to like about 40%, then use the Shape3D on each one.

Yeah they have been merged together, but it's just not how I'd like it. It's missing a certain je ne sais quoi.

Took a look through your gallery, you've got some nice work in there. As for the Moon though I was hoping to draw something from scratch rather than use an existing image and mould it. I'm hoping to build up a complete fantasy solar system and will most likely have one or two moons in it and would want them to be different be able to say "I did that."

signature1small.png

There's a tutorial for concrete. Maybe do that and apply the result to the Shape3D plugin to get a sort of rough terrain appearance.

Now there's a thought, I'll give that a go. Thank you.

Just the sun to improve on then.

Not great, but it's a start, thanks for the tip.

post-88404-132801872743_thumb.png

Edited by JadedLemon
signature1small.png

I am convinced that the secret to a great looking sun is not the sphere itself, but the effect that it has on the rest of the image.

This image has a completely white solar surface, the look I wanted comes from the corona:

yhsjjie-35.png

Uhg, where's my reply I made on this ... Insert lots of things that the filter would censor here: _________________.

Contrast and avoiding a lot of near like object collision (stars, other fades, rings, etc) will make it more intense etc. EER's got a great example of the "OMG that's really bright" effect happening using a type of halo/haze that I've yet to create when I want to see it ... Glad that was posted though as it shows the other potential of creating negative space or high contrast to create a brightness effect.

And all the rest of my blathering is gone to the ether ...

Now I have to look up the links I had too, insert more filtered content ...

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Uhg, where's my reply I made on this ... Insert lots of things that the filter would censor here: _________________.

Sometimes, if you take a relatively long time to write a reply, the forum can get a bit confused and lose your post.

If it feels like a long time since you started a reply I suggest you copy it before hitting the post button. Just to be sure.

Contrast and avoiding a lot of near like object collision (stars, other fades, rings, etc) will make it more intense etc. EER's got a great example of the "OMG that's really bright" effect happening using a type of halo/haze that I've yet to create when I want to see it ... Glad that was posted though as it shows the other potential of creating negative space or high contrast to create a brightness effect.

And all the rest of my blathering is gone to the ether ...

Now I have to look up the links I had too, insert more filtered content ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

One of my favorite firefox plugins of all time ;)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I started out with a yellow background, then I selected a water picture and impoted that into a new layer ,next I set the blend mode to overlay on the water layer, flattend the image and ran shape 3D, using strong light (I have saved the setting for this as a xml file for other uses) . On picture #1 I used outline object and gaussian blur on 17. On picture #2 I left out the blur & outline steps. You could also add another layer after you have run shape 3D to add more yellow (using a brush too and blur) to add more sun flare to it too.

Example #1

sun.png

Example #2

sun2.png

Hope this is of some help for you :)

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png