Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Simple Glossy Ring/Torus

Thanks Jim :) I followed the concrete tutorial by The Only Chad to make my texture, I think it works pretty well with this :)

Here is another take on this tutorial using Shape 3D to create a rollerskate wheel (of sorts)

roller.jpg

Edited by nitenurse79

Thanks Jim boltbait.smile.png I followed the concrete tutorial by The Only Chad to make my texture, I think it works pretty well with this boltbait.smile.png

Here is another take on this tutorial using Shape 3D to create a rollerskate wheel (of sorts)

roller.jpg

Nice, clean, and new - right out of the package!

Well Minners has done what I thought might look kinda cool & I love the wood ones too.

Those doughnuts look yummy!

Nitenurse I could feel your pain & frustration...but in the end you made such a fine image. I can see that you learnt a lot from this tute even though it took you a while to get an outcome you were happy with. What it leaves too is reassurance for others that if they persevere they will get there in the end. Sometimes too, when we write tutes, we assume or simply miss steps - tute writing is not all that easy. Remember - it is when we get stuck that real learning occurs.

I've bookmarked this as it looks like a good starting point for some great projects. Ummm - got a few bookmarks now!

Well Minners has done what I thought might look kinda cool & I love the wood ones too.

Those donuts look yummy!

Nitenurse I could feel your pain & frustration...but in the end you made such a fine image. I can see that you learnt a lot from this tute even though it took you a while to get an outcome you were happy with. What it leaves too is reassurance for others that if they persevere they will get there in the end. Sometimes too, when we write tutes, we assume or simply miss steps - tute writing is not all that easy. Remember - it is when we get stuck that real learning occurs.

I've bookmarked this as it looks like a good starting point for some great projects. Ummm - got a few bookmarks now!

@Jim: Just calling a spade a spade with a positive overtone. Sugar makes people happy ... Figured I'd keep trying to be positive in my impressions. I dont think most people want to hear most of what happens in my head. Perhaps I reached a little too far with that one. But awesome adaptation. I'm still amazed at the actual donut.

(Dont feed the trolls, but I just dont understand where that came from ...)

@Jackpelter: Right, my failed attempt at trying to help doesn't count. Fair enough. I at least tried. Unlike yourself who only posted negative commentary without a single effort to assist NN. And you wonder why people dont like to post things on the web in general? Also of note I found the delicious irony in your reference to Fans, since WB is one of the originators and main contributors of that forum ...

@NN: Glad to see you resolved whatever it was that didn't work. I'm guessing it was finding Effects > Distort > Polar Inversion for the most part. :D Though I dont know now. Couldn't figure out where to start without just re-writing WB's tut tbh. Only thing that did come to mind was that shiny = white or high contrast range for the most part with lower saturation of color ... I just cant find a good reference that explains this in detail without it devolving into a coding discussion, but I I'll keep digging. (Because you pointed out a need and because I dont think I actually understand it after trying my hand at a few examples to make a demonstration ...)

@WB: I think you understated the fact this was not located in the beginners area for a reason ... Going into depth on how polar inversion works or why its even included as part of PDN as a base tool is it's own tutorial of a sorts, but even then not newbie stuff per se ... Plus there is this odd thing about how people are supposed to learn some of it. I had to find out the hard way about it not always creating clovers or doing massive edge distortions through experimentation ... Maybe a footnote warning at most is warranted about that. (Yes, I'm resisting the urge to do a Wikipedia style flag about references needed or suggesting that format of footnote warnings like some tutorials sites like to use ... :mrgreen: )

Edited by delpart
  • Upvote 1

@jim. Thanks again for your kind words, support is always good here :)

@barbieq25 Thank you :) It was a little difficult until I was pointed in the right direction. I got there in the end with an example and a variation on a theme. Just to quote you here "it is when we get stuck that real learning occurs" - This is so very true, but with help, support and much :coffee: Victory was mine :D

@delpart You was very helpful, It would have been another bookmark tutorial that I never completed without the input you provided me :)

Dont feed the trolls - this makes me smile especially when I look at my award for 2011 :lol:

To everyone else who helped thank you :) I don't know what jackpelter is exactly talking about, but I give this tutorial :star: :star: :star: :star: and two big thumbs up. :)

Edited by nitenurse79

Thanks welshblue, this was a fun tutorial. :D

Yes, I did go a little hog wild and pig crazy duplicating the dowels and realize that no two dowels are exactly the same. But the voices in my head kept insisting...

wooddecor2.th.png

Holy Cracker Jacks Batman, she takes the prize!

barbieq, that is amazingly beautiful - Love the iridescent antique flavor of the rings, buttons and hook; the curly-Q is fantastic. :cookie:

Thanks welshblue, this was a fun tutorial. :D

Yes, I did go a little hog wild and pig crazy duplicating the dowels and realize that no two dowels are exactly the same. But the voices in my head kept insisting ...

Having just finished Michael Crichton's Next anything may be possible. Why not cloned dowels ;)

@ BarbieQ' ... Beautiful.

@ everyone who's made something using this tut' .. they're all awesome and unique. Shaming me into getting my butt into gear and to improve it like I promised before the correction ... (very nicely written Jim')

Hello Welshblue, I see some mighty nice things made with your tut.

I like that your torus seems to keep its sheen no matter what I do to it. :)

th_glossytorus.png

Edit: Re-posted image.

Edited by doughty

Eh... First, sorry for 'reviving' this thread.

Second, I did the tutorial for the second time (with a few changes, and without the plugins mentioned...again):

GLOSSY%20RING_PRACTICE%202.png

There are plenty of variations from this same ring in my ImageShack account. I'll post them later in my gallery.

(Note: I meant using only the default plugins built in the program. Also, I'm using Photobucket for my images.)

Edited by Beta0
Re-liking images

Eh... First, sorry for 'reviving' this thread.

Why ? is it that bad that it deserves to die ?  :evillaugh:

Would be interesting to see your technique without using any of the plug-ins

Why ? is it that bad that it deserves to die ?  :evillaugh:

Would be interesting to see your technique without using any of the plug-ins

*Snickers* No, it doesn't. I asked because of the 'necroposting' rule. X]

Without any of the plug-ins... You mean like Feather, AA assistant and Align Object? 

Actually I forgot how I did this ... I've been using S3D to get the stage before the Polar Inversion.  

Jeeeez I'm a fraggle sometimes