PI_TORUS_4.jpg

PI_TORUS_5.jpg

PI_TORUS_6.jpg

PI_TORUS_7.jpg

Depending on starting textures the results can be varied:

o_DD_ONE_OUT.png_2.png

keyhole_surgery_red_john.jpg

• Upvote 4

I can't work out how it goes from blue to metalic. I just tried this on a wood style texture, and all I got was bland, dull blob with no hole in the middle, no shine and just basically awful. :(

Any chance of making a tute like this for clueless people like me, who no matter what they try, all results are dull :(

Was the texture touching the sides of the window frame NN? Rule of thumb to get a hole is negative on the slider and to ensure it the border is either a solid line color all around or transparent. Since these distorts work with circles you want the inner part to be round to avoid problems in this case as well. Its also a fair amount of trial and error to find textures that can handle being compressed and distorted.

Example of starting texture that doesn't quite work, but I chose something with this in mind:

th_startingtexture.png

Example of just turning it into a torus without highlights after processing it with vignette to create a black border and save me a step of back-lighting it:

th_cutwithblackoutlinenogloss.png

Then a quick vignette to make a circle out of it plus the highlight blend and highlight layer creation (also because I rushed and forgot to show what it was like before the previous example):

th_cutwithblackoutlinenoglosswithhighlightsbefore.png

Transformed with highlight and tiny amount of radial blur on the torus layer as it picked up some moire pattern in the inversion:

th_finaltwolayerswithextrablur.png

Transformed with highlight, then white balance to color it to a blue lighting effect:

th_finaloftexturedstart.png

Pretty fair example (I hope) of how it doesn't always work well with some things ... I can easily see how it wouldn't "grain" well without some more work due to the starting texture. Mainly point I had was to show that its "wee bit" glossy only since it has highlights to start with. To get more from it I think it would probably need maybe curves and such to bring back out the depth before applying the highlight.

Main thing is seeing how to radial blur a highlight on a torus for me. Thanks WB.

Edited by delpart

I'll have to re-visit this to make it a bit more user-friendly. :arrow-downright:

For wood I wouldn't make the starting texture wooden. Work with B & W then make/ import a wooden texture and set it to Overlay

th_woodtorus.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice smiley Red. I almost did something like that but time prevails thankfully as that's pretty intense ...

@Jim: Mmmmmm, donuts. Still just seeing donuts thanks to the melt effect. Good one.

Figured I needed to throw out an example of the tut done in black. Change was using white balance to color the highlight copper'ish/sepia.

Torus from tut:

th_WB_TORUS_TUT2.png

And various layers with highlighting tests using same polar inverse smashing:

th_WB_TORUS_TUT_PLUS.png

Edited by delpart

Thanks delpart, but you lost me first on the torus part and then on the rest of it too :lol:

@welshblue;

For wood I wouldn't make the starting texture wooden. Work with B & W then make/ import a wooden texture and set it to Overlay - when I try that the texture covers the whole object with no hole or any kind of shine that all the rest of you can do with ease.

No matter what I try it just won't shine like Red ochre's jim's or minners71. There must be a secret to getting it to shine, dang if I can discover it. :(

No matter what I try it just won't shine like Red ochre's jim's or minners71. There must be a secret to getting it to shine, dang if I can discover it. boltbait.sad.png

When I finished with tutorial itself I merged the layers down (except the background), I then used the metalize plugin and also toyed with the brightness and contrast.

I had a problem with the layer blending at stage 5 when I put it on multiply it dissapeared, the same happened on stage 9 with overlay. Will have to come back to this as all the other attempts are pretty cool. Especially like Red ochres and Jims.

Latest piece:

donutonsaucer.jpg

Since del enjoyed the "donut" appearance in all of these, thought I might create one so he could satisfy her inner psyche.

Edited by jim100361

Nice results here :) But that does not answer my question of how you can all add shine to an image, but I cant. It also does not help me finish this tute without getting what you all seem to do with ease. :( Should I stick with MS Paint? I think so.:(

Nice results here :) But that does not answer my question of how you can all add shine to an image, but I cant. It also does not help me finish this tute without getting what you all seem to do with ease. :( Should I stick with MS Paint? I think so.:(

Hello Nitenurse79,

The tutorial shows you how to make the first image - the blue one , which is not particularly shiny. Welsh's avatar and other examples here are lovely and shiny. The way I got mine (the outside at least), is by adding another layer, adding a highlight (I used my 'highlight plugin set on '6 way mist' - but a white radial gradient would do), then applying the polar inversion plugin again. (You may need to use 'Alpha-mask' to delete the bits not within the ring.)

I'm sure if you experiment adding layers and distorting using the polar inversion plugin you will get there ;).

It is the idea of this tutorial that I found inspiring and just a starting point with a range of uses. I love experimenting with what various plugins can do - often at the expense of never finishing anything! :lol: ... hang in there. - don't be afraid of adding layers, turning them off, back on again, changing the blend modes - throwing every plugin you've got at things and seeing what you end up with.

@ nitenurse79, I just tried the tutorial, it works well, on step 5 don't blend with Multiply, use Glow instead, don't forget to use same settings on the Polar Inversion plugin as welshblue is showing in step-8

Edit, another great tut Welshy.

Edited by yellowman

@ nitenurse79, I just tried the tutorial, it works well, on step 5 don't blend with Multiply, use Glow instead, don't forget to use same settings on the Polar Inversion plugin as welshblue is showing in step-8

Plug-ins: Align Object Object Align Feather/Old Feather AA-assistant So where is the polar inverson that everyone is mentioning here? this tute does no say anything about it! I can't understand how to do it, so I'm not trying to do it anymore. Thanks all the same, but I just can't do it. Nothing I try works.. :(

Hello Nitenurse79,

The tutorial shows you how to make the first image - the blue one , which is not particularly shiny. Welsh's avatar and other examples here are lovely and shiny. The way I got mine (the outside at least), is by adding another layer, adding a highlight (I used my 'highlight plugin set on '6 way mist' - but a white radial gradient would do), then applying the polar inversion plugin again. (You may need to use 'Alpha-mask' to delete the bits not within the ring.)

I'm sure if you experiment adding layers and distorting using the polar inversion plugin you will get there ;).

It is the idea of this tutorial that I found inspiring and just a starting point with a range of uses. I love experimenting with what various plugins can do - often at the expense of never finishing anything! :lol: ... hang in there. - don't be afraid of adding layers, turning them off, back on again, changing the blend modes - throwing every plugin you've got at things and seeing what you end up with.

This tute does not even mention polar inverson!

Thanks mate. RE: Blend Mode ... yep it's personal taste. Overlay gives a nice finish, Difference works pretty good too. Multiply suited my mood last night

-----------------------------------------------------------------

@ Red' ... reallyyy nice result there mate. I'm glad it's inspired you. I must admit to not writing really comprehensive tut's because it's interesting to see how others use them. In this case using P.I. to make interesting toruses (or is that torai ? ) As you point out, adding

different layers etc ... using different Distorts varies it greatly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Jim' ... awesome. Love that doughnut, very clever. A case in point about people running with a tut' and putting their own mark on it. The dripping/ melting one is cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@ del' ... nice experiments mate. And text. Possibly more explanatory than my tut'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Minners' ... Stage 5 ... hmmm ... possibly try different blend modes, or make the Radial Gradient again ? It's difficult to answer without having the 2 starting layers to hand. A couple of images could help

The image you've posted is unique in itself

@ Aislin ... many thanks

@ jackpelter ... I don't have the foggiest clue about coding to explain Polar Inversion. I only wanted to share a little tip of something I've used sometimes. To bring a whole forum into it because of 1 tutorial seems a trifle extreme. But you're entitled to your opinion.

I deliberated which section to post this in and decided that it wasn't comprehensive enough for the Beginners section. Re-Write it ?

Not going to happen Star; but I will amend a couple of things for NiteNursey' because I can see where new users could be confused. Contrary to your comments it's not a "screw those who can't" forum. Everyday I see people given good advice. The sword thread in Discussions and Questions just one I could point to ...

I must admit I dis-agree about the 5 thumbs down. That's a bit harsh. 3 and a half possibly ?

Sucks and blows ? Sounds pretty dangerous. I'll pass

You're always free to choose away from my tutorials if I'm unhelpful.

Plus my wife gets a lil' bit unreasonable if I hold anyone else's hand but hers ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ NiteNurse' ... apologies. A couple of things could have been illustrated better. I'll try to find time to add better screenshots

... apologies to anyone who I missed on this pass of replies

• Upvote 3

Untitled.jpg

That is awesome! That's just what I could've used for the donut I made (for the donut itself and with a different color of course)! I think my donut would've been more realistic looking with that.

Nice job!