effect removal

Hi ,

I am doing this project at work, and am using paint.net. I created this file yesterday and inserted images in it which then added affects to it and saved it as .pdn. Then today when I turned my computer on I couldn't remove the effects I added yesterday. Is there anyway I can do so ?!

Effect I need to remove is a shadow effect which is a plug-in that I've downloaded.

Thanks in advance

Joseph

Hi ,

I am doing this project at work, and am using paint.net. I created this file yesterday and inserted images in it which then added affects to it and saved it as .pdn. Then today when I turned my computer on I couldn't remove the effects I added yesterday. Is there anyway I can do so ?!

Effect I need to remove is a shadow effect which is a plug-in that I've downloaded.

Thanks in advance

Joseph

As far as I am aware, once a file is saved and paint.net has been closed, the history is gone, so you can't undo it as the history no longer exists. The only way to fix it at this point would be to re-do the particular layer that is affected.

Also, keep in mind to assist you in the future, save your work multiple times as pdn and rename sequentially will help you. example1.pdn, example2.pdn, example3.pdn, etc.

This way you can open one of the previous versions and import a layer from it to the current one to save yourself some time.

EDIT:

While on the subject I would like to mention a thought that crossed my mind a couple days ago about this. I wish to address it here so others more educated than I in the area may be able to comment as to its worthiness:

The thought was simply the ability to save something as a "project file" which would inherently save the histories and those histories would have the capability to be selective in nature. Meaning, you highlight a particular portion of the history and simply press the delete key to remove that action.

I did not address the issue because I thought that such a feature would possibly make paint.net a resource hog in order to "track and record" those histories to a specific moment in time as it were.

But as I say, I don't have any specific knowledge in this area. It seems that the suggestion I provided above in responding to his question would probably be the best alternative.

Edited by jim100361

I don't think any image editor can recall previous edits and allow you to remove one certain effect. Even Photoshop can't do this, once you have saved the file (even in it's native format - .pdn / .psf etc) it is done, the only thing any program retains is the layers.

The best and only way to retain (and remove) effect edits, is to do them all on seperate layers, then when you reload the file, you just simply delete that layer. If your looking at saving "project files" then your not going to find it for free. I do almost everything on a seperate layer. That's the only work around on any program.

Edited by nitenurse79
  • Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

I don't think any image editor can recall previous edits and allow you to remove one certain effect. Even Photoshop can't do this, once you have saved the file (even in it's native format - .pdn / .psf etc) it is done, the only thing any program retains is the layers.

The best and only way to retain (and remove) effect edits, is to do them all on seperate layers, then when you reload the file, you just simply delete that layer. If your looking at saving "project files" then your not going to find it for free. I do almost everything on a seperate layer. That's the only work around on any program.

Actually, photoshop can do this to an extent...but that's beside the point ;)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

NN, yep, that is what I use often. Saves a lot of frustration.

You may be able to select the drop shadow with the magic wand or painstakingly erase it or Alpha masking may work. (There are some tutes on how to do this, if you use the Search function).

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

... Even Photoshop can't do this, once you have saved the file (even in it's native format - .pdn / .psf etc) it is done, the only thing any program retains is the layers.

No offense, but not entirely true.

I can't speak for the other programs, but in Paint.net for instance, if I create multiple layers then save the file as a bmp (as an example) and all the layers get flattened in the process, so long as the program has not closed out and the image is still active on the screen, the history is still viable, so you can essentially backup in the history (as it is still active) and make more changes. You only lose the history when you close the program and/or image file (by clicking on the X on the mini image of the upper right-hand corner of the screen).

Edited by jim100361

No offense, but not entirely true.

You only lose the history when you close the program and/or image file (by clicking on the X on the mini image of the upper right-hand corner of the screen).

So the only other work around then would be for him to not turn off his pc and not close Paint.NET :roll: Or like I mentioned, do everything on seperate layers.

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

OP did say that he had closed the program & I agree with Nitenurse - do as much as you can on a separate layer & save copies. In other words if you want to drop shadow something but might not want it later, then you need to keep a copy of that on a separate layer but the layer can be turned off.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

So the only other work around then would be for him to not turn off his pc and not close Paint.NET boltbait.roll.png Or like I mentioned, do everything on seperate layers.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. In my initial post, i said nearly the same thing, I recommended saving at intervals so that the saved files essentially would have different layer versions so that he could save himself some laboriuos work of redoing everything by simply replacing one layer at a particular stage for another.

I do not at all recommend leaving the program running. As a matter of fact, the option I presented would be much better because it would not have an effect on something done on subsequent layers. Operating with a "live" history, undoes work done on those other layers. Hence my feature suggestion and recommendation to the original poster.

The only reason why i corrected your statement had nothing to do with the project per se, I simply didn't want it understated what paint.net was capable of. Nothing more. My apologies if you thought otherwise.

Edited by jim100361

Operating with a "live" history, undoes work done on those other layers. Hence my feature suggestion and recommendation to the original poster.

It is a good suggestion jim, would it not be worth adding to a feature request forum entry on here? unless it already has been requested :)

Edited by nitenurse79

ZXCBOoZ.png

I agree with Jim. I think it would be quite handy to be able to save things in a project formating so as to save the history and work on it later.

Kind of like what microsoft office programs can do, but of course with images and effects, not words on digital paper.

Saving at intervals works but it is a hassle and more files (even temporary ones) means more work for the computer. Ick!

Sig Battle Wins: 5
DigitalTypographyNightvision.gif
My Gallery
| Smoke>Flames Tutorial

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will

It is a good suggestion jim, would it not be worth adding to a feature request forum entry on here? unless it already has been requested boltbait.smile.png

Sure - and I'm not aware that it has already been requested. But anyways, since it was related to the individual's issue, I thought I'd post it here... plus, I know Rick and others read these as well.

I don't want to press it at this time anyways. I'm sure Rick has plenty on his plate currently working towards the next revision, and who knows what would be involved in adding such a feature - I'm willing to bet it would be a bear of an undertaking. So, this can serve as "food for thought" for the time being.