RedBeard's Gallery--Bounty on Santa

RedBeard

Great work on the Ironman ... Solid image for me. Captures quite a bit.

Of course I tagged that sig elsewhere ... Nebula is good color blend. Stars throw off the depth a bit, but I'm just trying to offer something to ponder rather than critique there.

Nifty metal works on the PDN logo/sig plate idea. That came out really striking.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Great work on the Ironman ... Solid image for me. Captures quite a bit.

Of course I tagged that sig elsewhere ... Nebula is good color blend. Stars throw off the depth a bit, but I'm just trying to offer something to ponder rather than critique there.

Nifty metal works on the PDN logo/sig plate idea. That came out really striking.

Thanks, DP. Iron Man was pretty painstaking, believe it or not, and I'm really glad it turned out as well as it did.

I tend to agree about the stars on the nebula, but I didn't realize it until after it was done and it was too late by that point, because I forgot to save it as a PDN file. Go figure. I may do another one in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

Fun new additions. The take on the lunar landing is blended really well. Even some lunar surface reflection on the paint.

So many Conan parodies over the years. I had to turn off that filter in my head and look up some original poster sources to appreciate that one fully. But, while that sounds off, the frame of reference usually helps the analytical types see how much work and how well it is done. I'm always torn on source linking as it really isn't needed unless its extremely subtle. I'd say that was far from subtle in this case. :mrgreen:

The Rush popping out take reminds me of my Zune cover art mode (not sure what its supposed to be called, just cycling through the cover art to make a wallpaper) ... Not sure the red border is a solid compliment to it though.

And I dont get the Muse thing. I'll have to look into that to understand it I think.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Really nice updates since the last time I popped in. You've got a great style with a nice eclectic mix. Excellent outcome on your latest sig, your take on Weylin's and the lunar rover. Seamless putting together ;)

Thank you, Welsh! The lunar rover was a lot of fun to make. Of course, the fact that it came out so well only fuels the conspiracy theories of one of my good friends that we never actually went to the moon. Go figure.

Fun new additions. The take on the lunar landing is blended really well. Even some lunar surface reflection on the paint.

So many Conan parodies over the years. I had to turn off that filter in my head and look up some original poster sources to appreciate that one fully. But, while that sounds off, the frame of reference usually helps the analytical types see how much work and how well it is done. I'm always torn on source linking as it really isn't needed unless its extremely subtle. I'd say that was far from subtle in this case. :mrgreen:

The Rush popping out take reminds me of my Zune cover art mode (not sure what its supposed to be called, just cycling through the cover art to make a wallpaper) ... Not sure the red border is a solid compliment to it though.

And I dont get the Muse thing. I'll have to look into that to understand it I think.

Thanks for the critique, delpart. I agree, the red border on the Rush pic probably wasn't the best choice, but it was an exercise in experimentation. At any rate, that's why I value critiques from people such as yourself.

The lunar surface reflection in the paint on the Charger is really just the actual reflection in the source picture, but it's obscured enough that it blended really well. The only thing I really went out of my way on was to erase the tree reflections from the front windshield. I'm not entirely happy with the way the windshield looks, but it's hard to determine what the reflection would be on the surface of the moon.

Are you just unfamiliar with Muse as a band, or are you referring to the background? If that's the case, the background is cover art from their album, "Resistance" (hence, the name of the piece).

The Barbarian thing was just me messing around, seeing how well I can blend. The more I look at it, the more I see could be improved. I may try it again in the near future.

Edited by RedBeard

I thought it was just the car coming out from the photo (which isn't easy to create), but you also added the nice, black and white effect changing gradually into color. That's a great piece and very well-composed.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

I thought it was just the car coming out from the photo (which isn't easy to create), but you also added the nice, black and white effect changing gradually into color. That's a great piece and very well-composed.

Thank you, HELEN!

This one was actually composed of three different photographs. The Charger was a stock internet photo with just a white background (which eliminated a lot of work for me). The hardest part was cutting out the window spaces inside the car without sacrificing the white "haze" of the light hitting the front windshield. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result.

Well I used to own a Charger in the 70's. It was gold & very, very cool. I love what you did with this one. IT has a great feel & I agree with the name totally. Well done on a fantastic image!

Nice! Do you have any photos of your Charger? I've been in love with those cars ever since I was a little kid watching "The Dukes of Hazzard". While I have a deep love for all classic American muscle cars, to me, the '68-70 Dodge Chargers are quite simply the sexiest cars ever built. I'm absolutely bent on owning one someday.

Nostalgia is a cruel mistress ... not knocking the choice, pure American muscle at its best ... just sometimes the form really does outperform the function. *** like most I will take good form the older I get.

Now, for the idea, its a nice blend. Makes me a little homesick actually. Areas that look like that tend to have nice long stretches of road where you can float those valves wide open ... Sigh.

This type of manip might be easy to conjure conceptually because people have explained the details of making it so fully here and there, but the execution should not be dismissed as such. Its actually not "that easy" to make it look good. I like the double pop-out you pushed with the forward shadow edge and ephemeral framing. Plus you already mentioned the work done to blend the windows ... That's a ton more than most people do with that one.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Nostalgia is a cruel mistress ... not knocking the choice, pure American muscle at its best ... just sometimes the form really does outperform the function. *** like most I will take good form the older I get.

Now, for the idea, its a nice blend. Makes me a little homesick actually. Areas that look like that tend to have nice long stretches of road where you can float those valves wide open ... Sigh.

This type of manip might be easy to conjure conceptually because people have explained the details of making it so fully here and there, but the execution should not be dismissed as such. Its actually not "that easy" to make it look good. I like the double pop-out you pushed with the forward shadow edge and ephemeral framing. Plus you already mentioned the work done to blend the windows ... That's a ton more than most people do with that one.

Thank you, delpart. I've always been a bit of a stickler for details, although I have to admit, my details are not always the most accurate. I'm not a schooled artist, and as such, I still have a lot to learn concerning light and shadow placement. It's a discipline that I simply haven't taken the time to thoroughly learn and I think some of my work suffers because of it. This is one of the reasons I rely so heavily on feedback from people on this site, because the critiques offered here give me food for thought and make me a better artist.

As for your remarks concerning muscle cars: you're probably right. A lot of those cars in their original form were more show than go. MOPARs seemed to be pretty much the exception, though, as most everything Chrysler produced emphasized function over form, at least in terms of traveling in a straight line (they certainly weren't canyon carvers by any stretch of the imagination). Consequently, a lot of MOPARs were not so pretty to look at, but were absolute monsters on the street and the strip. There were exceptions in aesthetics, of course, with my obvious bias being toward the Charger, but the Challenger was another good-looking car that was also a monster in terms of performance.

"A Nice Morning...Flight"

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/1stBass/ANiceMorningFlight.png

I was inspired by Back To The Future II and decided to have a little fun with my favorite muscle car.

And yes, I put Dean Winchester behind the wheel.

I'd go for a ride in that! Pretty cool outcome. I like it.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012