How do I remove unwanted people from an old B&W photo?

I am trying to remove two people from the background of this old B&W photo of my Grandpa and Great Uncle. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them out and keep the photo looking realistic? I don't mind changing the background, I just can't figure out and easy way to get this done, aside from zooming in really close, cutting them out, and pasting them on another background. I just don't know how realistic this will look.

Here is the photo.....

cc.jpg

Hi br7332, welcome to the forum.

It's going to take time. The more time you spend the better it will look.

First read this tutorial: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796- That should get the bulk of the two other guys removed.

Cleanup Tools: I'd look at either the magic wand :MagicWandTool: to remove and continuous areas that are superfluous or the Eraser :EraserTool: .

For cleaning up the edges I'd use Feather Plugin and/or AA's assistant from dpy's plugin pack.

Finally, Clone Stamp tool :CloneStampTool: to replace the background.

I would also suggest taking a look at this tutorial:

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo