Feathering a Black Border

Idolise

Okay I'm making an image and I want to create a black border around a freely drawn selection but then feather it in so the opacity of the black border starts at 0 and ends at 100. How would I do this?

Cheers.

Find the "drop shadow" plugin and turn up the blur radius

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Find the "drop shadow" plugin and turn up the blur radius

I downloaded the drop shadow plugin but how do I get my shadow to reach the edge of the page? The width of the shadow is about 2cm and I need it to be about 10.

Edit: If I untick keep original image it reaches the end of the page but then I cannot get it to feather as much as I would like.

Edited by Idolise

you're looking for a really thick edge then o.o In that case, duplicate the layer and use the brightness and contrast adjustment to make the bottom layer completely black. Then, run outline object until you get an outline 5cm thick. Use gaussian blur to get the desired results.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo