Crop to selection

artyjon

I had a search and can't fing ths problem here. In the past I've had no problem removing a selected shape from a picture (in PNG) by making a selection them using the 'crop to selection' option. But now when I make a selection that option is dead, it can't be used. Anyone got any idea what's happened?

Crop to selection (CTRL + Shift + X) is different to removing a selection (delete key will work). Which are you trying to do?

CTRL + Shift + X is the keyboard combination to crop to selection. This will alter the canvas dimensions to minimally emcompass the active selection within a rectangle.

To remove the pixels outside a selection, press CTRL + I (to invert the selection) and then press the delete key.

What version of Paint.net are you using?

If "Crop to Selection" is grayed out, then you do not have an active selection.

If you really do have an active selection, then either 1) no you don't, or 2) there's some crazy bug, and the status bar will say something about the selection (it had better, anyway)..

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

CTRL + Shift + X is the keyboard combination to crop to selection. This will alter the canvas dimensions to minimally emcompass the active selection within a rectangle.

To remove the pixels outside a selection, press CTRL + I (to invert the selection) and then press the delete key.

What version of Paint.net are you using?

I've tried the keyboard method, doesn't work either. And I've got the latest version of Paint.net.

As 'crop to selection' used to work I'm wondering if the file has corrupted, or something, and I should reinstall it.

Then you don't have a selection active:

If "Crop to Selection" is grayed out, then you do not have an active selection.

Try opening an image, making a simple rectangle selection with this tool :RectangleSelectTool: and then trying the crop-to methods.

Then you don't have a selection active:

Try opening an image, making a simple rectangle selection with this tool :RectangleSelectTool: and then trying the crop-to methods.

Thanks, that's solved it. I was using the shape symbols at the bottom of the toolbar, but I now see it's the ones at the top you use for this purpose.

And thanks to all who've replied.