Assistance with Rank userbars

Hello, I'm trying to make some rank userbars kinda like the following:

admin.png

developer.png

But I can't figure out how to do it. I've tried to follow tutorials on how to do it and I can't seem to get it. Can someone make a tutorial on how I would do this with paint.net please?

I made an alphabety thing just for this, ill look on my PC tommorow, ill put it up here so everyobe can use it. It was made to match the font used by PspDemoCenter, dunno if uf heard of it :)

So what your gonna upload will help me make images like the ones i posted here?

That doesn't help me as apparently there are plugins that are needed and those plugins are unobtainable.

I've updated the links to the plugins in the userbar tutorial.

Welshy is quite correct - plugins can be located by using the Plugin Index. It's updated monthly - and it's free! boltbait.big_smile.png

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to create the userbars is to first make a template saved as a .pdn file which contains all the basic elements on separate layers (from what I see, there are two:

~the black outline (use rectangle tool set to outline and 1 pixel wide)

~the shine (on a layer with the transparency set to <100, draw the bottom of the shine using line/curve tool, then fill in the top with the paint bucket tool). Make sure it is underneath the outline layer.

A few sneaky tricks you can use in your template to make it even faster and easier:

~Use the paint bucket tool to fill the outside of the outline with white (on the outline layer). Go on to next tip to see why it helps

~Add a layers as placeholders, especially underneath all the other layers. With the one underneath, you can simply fill the entire layer with anything you wish and only the parts inside the userbar will show up if you followed the first tip

Some other things you can add to your template:

~glow (on a layer under your shine layer, draw a white line across the bottom of the bar, then run gaussian blur at around 2-6)

~if you wish to have a kind of background theme to all of your bars, add it at the very bottom and make sure it is fully opaque. That way, if you wish for it to show through, just make the layers above it slightly transparent.

I hope that helps! Drop me a line if you have any questions! ;)

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

That tutorial doesn't help me at all. I'm very new to making image's and I've tried the tutorial you gave me several time's and Everytime I try to add an image like in the bar's I posted, It never comes out like that. and I downloaded pyro's plugin set and put it on paint.net just like it said and Half the plugin's dont even work.. I just wanna make a user rank image just like this:

developer.png

admin.png

Those look like pixel art to me. I'd recommend the pencil tool and a lot of time.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

*sigh*...another good wall of text goes unanswered :(

Here's a sample template for you (see my previous post for details): http://lts.cr/BI-x

The font I used is the one I made and posted earlier (set to 3pt): http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/567757

To make the font shadow, you really don't need the extra layer I added in the template(my bad). All you do is type your text, then use the drop shadow effect set to 1 widening radius and 1 blur radius.

The layers labeled "placeholder" are the ones you will most often change between rank bars, but changing the other layers is not a crime, so don't be afraid to experiment.

When you are done with a rank bar, flatten the image (ctrl+shift+f), then use magic wand selection to select the white on the outside and hit delete, then save as (ctrl+shift+s) a PNG image.

EDIT: in response to this

See I'm brand new to paint.net so I have no idea how to do that.

You must be brand new to computer graphics editing/design in general. To use the pencil tool for drawing, zoom in, then point and click ;) The biggest trouble is choosing the right colors, and that depends on your artistic ability, not your familiarity with computer graphic editors.

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

*sigh*...another good wall of text goes unanswered :(

Too much text intimidates people.

Short answers.

Are usually.

Best.

:lol:

Well, if that's the case, (depending on how much time you have) you should start by just playing around with the program and getting to know the tools. Figure out what everything does, and especially learn to work with layers. Without layers, this project will only frustrate you to death.

If you have a deadline to meet, I can buy you some time while you go practice (yes, that was an offer to do it for you).

I probably will when I get to college. At the moment I'm only a senior in High School. And I thank you for the offer but I would feel better If I did this on my own. So I have to learn ha ha. I looked around on paint.net and I couldn't find the pen tool any where.

A good place to start = online documentation: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/FileMenu.html (or press F1 in paint.net).