Can paint.net be considered spyware?

Something I've been thinking after a usability session I was involved with yesterday.

14 people with a moderate level of IT experience were told to find and install paint.net

8 of them ended up installing a junk/adware/spyware program instead, as the paint.net download page is covered in these fake download links.

Now, clearly paint.net itself is not spyware. But if the process of installing the application leads 50% of users to install adware by mistake, can paint.net be considered in effect to be a rogue application?

Edited by Diplidocus

I've been trying to download Paint with no results (another post), but the first download I did was for a PDF creator - which I then deleted. I agree the site is extremely confusing with so many big green download buttons and a tiny text saying "if you want to download Paint.net click on the download now button below..." It seems Paint is a great tool and would be worthy of a less confusing website.

No. Paint.NET is not spyware.

But, installing it is an IQ test.

Uh oh...new quote for my sig :D

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I've been trying to download Paint with no results (another post), but the first download I did was for a PDF creator - which I then deleted. I agree the site is extremely confusing with so many big green download buttons and a tiny text saying "if you want to download Paint.net click on the download now button below..." It seems Paint is a great tool and would be worthy of a less confusing website.

I beg to differ.

All that is required is an attention to detail (which, by the way, is something you'll need if you use the tutorials). One oversight will lead you astray in each instance.

If you read what is presented then there won't be problems downloading. Here is a screenshot from the download page:

PDNDownload.png

And here is the subsequent page:

PDNDownload2.png

Problem solved!

Stay on target. Remember, this is FREEWARE. The advertisements are necessary to cover the expense of the product itself and these forums. The alternative in my opinion would be that we all pay for this and they can remove the advertisements. To be honest, especially in the current financial outlook throughout our country and others today, I don't think I would be able to afford it.

Please don't put the monkey on my back. If you are wishing to start an argument, please take it elsewhere.

Clearly it's a case of paying attention to details as I've pointed out. I've downloaded and installed this program on about 4 different computers (1 at home and 3 at work) and I have never had an instance whereas "rougue" software has been installed as a result.

Think of the bright side to this discussion which you've obviously overlooked. Simply because you've highlighted your concern in this thread, and I have illustrated the route to take, then my guess would be that there will be fewer people who will inadvertently be downloading software other than what they intend.

On their behalf, I'm sure they'll thank you.

That sir/ma'am, is the end of my input to this discussion. Season's greetings to you and good luck.

Hmmm what you're saying is that you're happy to be part of a community which is funded by installing unwanted rogue software on people's computers.

Oookay buddy. That's enough of that :-\

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg