Jim100361 - My Stuff

jim100361

How do you think of these things ?

Warped sense of humor? Actually, I'd like to think that they're much like a joke. They're not really anything special unless delivered correctly, and that's all I attempt to do, deliver them properly. They're not really original anyways - like the mirror vs the Scope commercials of years past.

Anyways, in the next pic I thought I'd attempt to put a silver lining in an otherwise sad set of circumstances.

PAFloodingFlamingo.png

Edited by jim100361

Oh Jim! I looked at this & thought, "He's posted up a photo of floodwater, must've had too much rain in his area." Took me a while to realise that the flamingo didn't belong there! Seamless work, Jim. Well done.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

This is such a great idea! I think that the flamingo might be a little big compared to the traffic light sign in the front, but it looks superb as is.

Dunno, I don't know how tall the birds can be. However, if it helps your perspective a bit, the actual legs break w/the water about the point where the darker waves end and the lighter shade starts. That puts it approx mid-way between the traffic light post and the sign for the traffic light (which is normally, I believe, 100 ft distance). This puts the flamingo about 50' closer to the camera than the traffic light. All that said though, I revert back to what I originally stated, I don't know how tall they are in real life.

But, I do thank you and Barbie for the compliments.

Edited by jim100361

Some interesting and wacky ideas you have got going.Photo-manip seems to be your forte.Love the flamingo.

Thanks Dug. Well it's certainly is where I tend to focus my "creativity" in art. It's not that I'm incapable of creating by hand, I just have a hard time translating things I can do by hand to something like paint.net. Here's some examples of some old stuff I've done:

My Dad:

Art.jpg

Bill Cosby:

BillCosby.jpg

Lionel Richie:

LionelRichie.jpg

You can see that a couple date back to '83.

At any rate, these were done using a #2 pencil (I never learned to use Charcoal). In drawing, I can feel the amount of pressure I'm applying w/my pencil to the lines and shades and I lose that in Paint.net. I think it's much more difficult (at least it is for me) to do these in paint.net.

I am truly amazed at those who can pull it off though. A thousand kudos goes out to those who can.

Edited by jim100361

Thank you ladies for the kind words and encouragement. I don't know when I'll do another drawing. It's been quite a long time. I think the one of my Dad was probably the last one I ever did. I don't know if I can translate those sorts of drawings into PDN. Maybe sometime I'll give it a try, but I don't suspect it'll be anytime soon. But, I appreciate the support and encouragement nonetheless.

EDIT:

After watching Yellowman's video tutorial for creating flexible pipe, I had to have a go at it:

FlexiblePipe.png

Edited by jim100361

I must admit that the mad flash of frames at the end sort of spoils it for me.

Sorry about that. After fading out the background and then my screen name I wasn't sure how to transition back to the original picture. I'll have to give this some more thought. Maybe do a reverse transition. Shouldn't be too hard duplicating layers in reverse sequence - of course, that means more frames, but I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks Welsh for the comments, and even more so for the inspiration for this piece (you da' man!) B) :

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/CantaLibra/Guitar8.png

I probably could've done more, but after spending most of the day on it, I was getting tired. I wanted to do more w/the background, but anything that came to mind seemed like another lifetime of work ahead of me....!

Nice outcome with the guitar. The red strings are not working for me - kinda confuses the eye too much to pick out the strings from the very nice red wood background. Overall a quite pleasing shape to the guitar esp. the bottom end. Good on you.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Nice outcome with the guitar. The red strings are not working for me - kinda confuses the eye too much to pick out the strings from the very nice red wood background. Overall a quite pleasing shape to the guitar esp. the bottom end. Good on you.

Sorry about the strings. I initially tried getting a gold/brown color to them to more closely reflect bronze windings on strings (I even initially tried to get detail to them, but when I reduced them, the detailing quickly gets lost). The "bronze" appeared to bright to me, so I adjusted the brightness and contrast down which resulted in them being more red.

Thanks again ladies for the compliments on the piece. Again, I want to thank Welsh for his piece for inspiring me to try my hand at it.

I appeciate your modesty but I must say, I read a Photoshop tutorial awhile ago for doing a photorealistic guitar and after reading through it I didn't think I had the patience or ability to get anything near what they showed. It was however your piece that got me to give it a go. So, thanx again.

BTW, thanx too about the comment on the fretboard, that was actually the hardest part for me (as silly as that may sound for such a simple looking piece).

• 2 weeks later...

Your work just get's better Jim :) High time you made some tutorials.

NN, thank you very much. As far as any tutorial is concerned, though I'm honored you think I should create one/some, I'm not sure that it's necessary. My work may be improving in different respects I guess, but there's nothing in anything I've done that isn't already demonstrated elsewhere in existing tutorials, so in my opinion there's not really anything new to offer.

I am however pleased and honored that you thought I should.

That may be a good possibility - since I did the piece, I've thought it was one of my better ones (that one and the football player crashing through the laptop screen).