Jim100361 - My Stuff

jim100361

Here's a look at all the stuff I've done so far (most are scattered about in these forums):

ParchmentHeart.jpg

WorldfromStream.jpg

funinthewoods.jpg

JLewisButton.gif

PWHButton.gif

BatmanOrb.jpg

DolphinOrb.jpg

CrackedEgg.jpg

Oldb.jpg

ShieldSilhouette.gif

StangPlaque.gif

Edited by jim100361
  • Upvote 2

Some nice tutorial work, although there are some jaggies about. ;) Try working bigger and feathering before resizing or use AA assistant.

• Upvote 2

Some nice tutorial work, although there are some jaggies about. ;) Try working bigger and feathering before resizing or use AA assistant.

I agree...also Gaussian Blur can work wonders too.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Here's my most recent attempt to restore an old (color) photograph.

I don't know these people, I simply googled "damaged color photograph" and came up with the subject picture.

Restore2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanx. I enjoy doing them (though my eyes may differ in that opinion).

The latest restoration was very challenging, and also a bit disappointing. I try to put my best effort into them, but I'm personally dissatisfied over one aspect in particular. The little girls necklace. Because it was stained so badly, it was very difficult to distinguish the features of it. So I had to recreate what I thought I saw or at least improvise on it, and then after it was done, it somehow still didn't appear that I got it right.

Also in darkening it a bit to bring out a bit more detail from the pic was good, except the shading in the woman's cheek somehow looks phony as a result (a lack of fading from the dark to the light).

But that's okay I guess, I'll just move on and see if I can't improve as I proceed onward.

Thanx again!

i think its amazing... i really don't know HOW you did that... maybe create a tut?

In the past (on some eariler attempts - copies I no longer have), I would simply copy and paste very small pieces (zoom in on the photo) from an area closest to the damaged portion of the photo. This provides that you keep the colors and shading closest to the original. In this last attempt I used this method, but I also tried something new: smudging I did this fairly extensively in the woman's hair and other places as well (like in the child's dress). In the area of the child's dress after I got most of the color corrected, I selected several areas and added noise. This gave the texture a more "normal" appearance as smudging made it too smooth. In the stained area (at least the lighter portions), I selected these areas and using color balance I would make adjustments to essentially filter out the blue (of course I had to correct the other two colors to reduce the area from being too red or yellow or green, etc.) Once I had the blue filtered out and the area still being selected, I then adjusted the light level of the area (as the staining caused the area to be darker) and lightened it up to more closely match with the photo. The darker areas of the stain I used the copy and paste and smudging method.

Most of this work was done by zooming in on the areas I was working on. Most of the time I increased the size to 600% or 700%. The adjustments to the smudging would vary depending on how fine the area was that I was working on at the time. When doing the hair, the brush size would be very small, when working on the child's dress (breast/chest portion), then a larger brush could be used. Of course when using the smudging method in the hair, the practice would be to do it in the direction that the hair is arranged.

EDIT:

Here's the funniest part:

First, here's the website where I got the original photo: http://www.perfectap...d-tinted-photo/

I never saw their finished work until after I posted this particular reply. You can visit that link and see their fixed version as it compares to mine. You can see that I didn't get the puffed sleeve portion of the little girls dress right (nor the child's necklace for that matter).

Edited by jim100361

My latest piece:

OvationAdvert2.jpg

And here are the source pics:

nighttrees.jpg

BlackOvationGuitar2.gif

nightrock.jpg

ovation-logo.jpg

pagetitle.png

EDIT:

I was staring at the picture and I noticed an oversight on my part. I should've added shadow coming from the tree onto a portion of the right side of the rock and maybe a portion of the guitar. Again... live and learn! boltbait.smile.png

EDIT:

OvationAdvert3.jpg

Here's the source pictures:

Longmireoldpicnictable.jpg

GuitarOvationGreen.jpg

OvationAdvert4.jpg

Added this:

OldWoodPictureFrame.jpg

Edited by jim100361

Taking my work one step further:

JimWSHHat.jpg

The graphic on the right was something I did awhile ago for our Game Clan (Day of Defeat - Weary Soldier's Haven).

I started with an image of my family's Coat of Arms and did some erasing and copying and pasting to create it.

So yesterday, I decided I would have a one of kind piece (I guess it'll be collectible now - lol)!

Thank you for the kind words.

Just a comment for others (I don't know if people noticed it or not).

With the background pictures on the Ovation Guitar advertisements I selected portions of the distant trees and used Unfocus to try to give the pictures a bit of "reality" and depth since the guitars in the foreground should be the primary focus. Also I tried to select a guitar that (reasonably) fit the picture - black for the nighttime and green for the moss.

My wife's favourite tv advert: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YEiFIKBPUq8

Excellent job on the first Ovation piece. Very atmospheric ... the second one is lacking a shadow under the guitar. It seems to be floating there at the moment ...

It seemed a bit awkward to put a shadow underneath (I'm assuming your talking about between the guitar and the bench seat). The shadow direction is going towards the rear of the guitar, that doesn't give much room on the bench to add shadow, especially since the shadow would be predominantly toward the backside of the guitar and adding some on the bench seat itself would be negligible (hardly noticeable) in my humble opinion.

I beg to differ. The 'bulge' in the body would throw some shadow underneath ? At the moment the guitar looks 'pasted on' IMHO

th_jimguitar.jpg

I agree.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I agree.

OK, I'll give it another try. BTW, I wasn't aware (until yesterday) that saving in the pdn format maintains each distinct layer for future editing. Sadly, for the image in question, I'll have to do it all over. But, in the meantime here's my latest:

OvationWomanForestEdge.jpg

Here are the source files:

Edgeofforest.jpg

womanonbench.jpg

OvationDoubleNeck.jpg

There are a few jaggies around the guitar and I think that the bench should probably be lighter (maybe the guitar should have some highlights from the light), but those are the only things I noticed that could be changed. Maybe the lens flare shouldn't be so blurred out and have a sharper look to it, too. Otherwise, it looks so fairy-tale like and I like how the girl is positioned correctly--facing the light.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

There are a few jaggies around the guitar and I think that the bench should probably be lighter (maybe the guitar should have some highlights from the light), but those are the only things I noticed that could be changed. Maybe the lens flare shouldn't be so blurred out and have a sharper look to it, too. Otherwise, it looks so fairy-tale like and I like how the girl is positioned correctly--facing the light.

I like the bench darker but definitely agree with Helen on the highlights.

I didn't know that for ages about the .pdn either. All of the tutes I did told me to flatten the image & I am done.

I always save twice - once as .pdn to allow editing, keeping as much as possible on sperate layers Even if I have to duplicate them & then hide them, & again I save as a .png because it is lossless.

Love your great ideas.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Here's the adjustment:

OvationWomanForestEdge2.png

And the previous version (for a closer comparison):

OvationWomanForestEdge.jpg

EDIT:

I'm not sure what happened, I had a separate layer in there that had "beams of light" in the vicinity of the lens flare, but they don't seem to show now. I may need to look into this deeper and see what I forgot to do because I didn't remove the layer. Maybe I should've set the lens flar layer to overlay. I'll check it out this evening.

Edited by jim100361

Lens flare much better in this version.

The text needs to be feathered or AA to make it smooth & I would try a small black drop shadow to give it a bit of pop.

Your work is certainly getting more polished!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

You're right, the drop shadow is the perfect touch. I tried the AA on the smaller text as well, but it made it too narrow and ugly when a drop shadow was applied, so I removed the AA from that portion and used only the drop shadow. Here's the update:

OvationWomanForestEdge3.png