Jim100361 - My Stuff

jim100361

A good starting image jim but a lot of AA needed, maybe also layer rotate and a shadow would finish it off nicely.

If you gaussian blur the image at 2px then resize to 50% all the jaggies will be gone.

Edited by minners71

Well done Jim. Just surprised that since you have some superior photo-touch-up skills that you left the red-eye in the source. Or if that's your actual eye color, my apologies. :lol:

Curious if you used blur and resizing to removing the visible aliasing problem or what not as well.

Having spent some time last week working with various coins pics for something else I can certainly appreciate the "impression" (pun intended) you've created here.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Pretty neat work with the new coins.

Delpart, AA Assistant, Feather & Gaussian Blur & resizing are the best way of beating the jaggies. I recall an earlier post where you mentioned that resizing down from 4 x larger starting canvas does not always give superior results.

Jim what I did notice is that the left side & bottom of the starting image of you don't go to the edge of the coin. With the 5 coins, the one in the top right hand corner, (bottom gap of the image) this actually serves to show 3Dness, whereas the gap at the left shoulder works well for most of the coins.

Pretty darned good effort & it is good to see a coin with a smiling face :lol:

• Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

:lol:

Pretty neat work with the new coins.

Delpart, AA Assistant, Feather & Gaussian Blur & resizing are the best way of beating the jaggies. I recall an earlier post where you mentioned that resizing down from 4 x larger starting canvas does not always give superior results.

Jim what I did notice is that the left side & bottom of the starting image of you don't go to the edge of the coin. With the 5 coins, the one in the top right hand corner, (bottom gap of the image) this actually serves to show 3Dness, whereas the gap at the left shoulder works well for most of the coins.

Pretty darned good effort & it is good to see a coin with a smiling face :lol:

Slowly but surely I'm learning when to just ignore the current result with the idea of knowing it will blend differently. But it is painfully hard to do. Just the reminder of Gaussian and resize may have helped with an idea problem I'm having tackling smoke. Feedback in galleries is where I seem to learn some of the oddest things sometimes. (Saying that because even if it is in a tutorial, seeing how it affects something else I have no investment seems to help.)

And ditto on the idea of a smiling coin. I just reflected on this and noted that most indeed are characterized by being very somber if not outright scowling ... :lol:

Gallery at PDN-Fans

I divided up the eagle to affect some drop shadow from the right leg over the left, and also the right wing too, plus the right wing overlaps the screen bezel a tad too to add to the effect.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/CantaLibra/EagleLCD6.png

Source for picture below: http://www.commsyn.org/Bereavement/

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/CantaLibra/SadWomanCrying4.png

Edited by jim100361

Oh that zipper is very clever!

The tears are really well done too. I did some tears for one of my nautilus images but could not recall how did it. Even replicating it on the same image was impossible for me! Well done! The only C&C I can give on this is that perhaps the tears need to start in the corner because of the angle of her head? Overall, I am looking at the process which you've done a marvelous job with!

The Pegasus - well! I love it! Wonderful work...good to see that he is not white. :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

You're right about the tears. I too came to that conclusion after I completed it... but I decided to leave it as is. Guess I just got lazy/tired at that point. Maybe another day or so 'til I make another attempt at it...

I thought about doing a white pegasus (aren't they all supposed to be white??), but when I inverted the colors of the wings, I couldn't get the darker shading that was in it to match that of the horse that I began working with, so after fighting with it for awhile, I decided to go with a horse that was closer to the original color of the wings instead.

The zipper...I was originally going to make it an opened zippered pouch - kind of reminiscent of a Kangaroo I guess, but decided against that, so I made it much simpler and kept it closed! lol

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/CantaLibra/Mermaid.png

Edited by jim100361

Good job! I would suggest working on the zipper-pull it looks out of place and quite distracts from the photo-edit job. Give it another go, maybe make it more 3 dimentional. Maybe put the zipper between her hands as well.

I like how you tried making a mermaid, but again the tail, having a dorsal fin of a dolphin it looks unreal, maybe try a whale tail instead!

Love your work, keep it up.

Pregnant.png

She's gonna blow (so the surgeon operated and gave her a zipper so she could get it over with quickly)

Edited by NinjaManDan21

Sig Battle Wins: 5
DigitalTypographyNightvision.gif
My Gallery
| Smoke>Flames Tutorial

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will

After having toyed around a bit w/one of the planet tutorials, I did one of the actual earth and moon.

I utilized a map similar to this for the earth:

http://nssdc.gsfc.na...e/earth_day.jpg

Another for the moon:

http://www.nhn.ou.ed...oon_map_002.jpg

Here's my piece:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/CantaLibra/earth_day5.png

To be honest, I wasn't totally happy w/the sun, but I didn't know how to improve upon it.

Edited by jim100361

Lost my reply thanks to connection drop. Argh ...

Recap: Multicolor stars can and will change perspective of the entire image. It's an odd thing, but that isn't helping with the perspective you're working on.

Super bright sources you could stare into would be filtered. Otherwise all you'd see is faint outlines of the planets and a mainly white screen taken directly on like that. Since it would be filtered, you'd have a ton of wash and nearly no visible stars because of it.

The shadowing is not helping and the sun would cause a coronal effect blending through the edge of the atmosphere ... All the things you're expecting to see from thousands of previous real and imagined images are not helping in getting where you're headed probably. I know I always have to argue when its a picture of our Blue Marble ...

I'd try making the sun smaller with a distinct coronal boundary and extend its glow slightly irregular. Then set deeper shadows on the planet and consider eclipsing the moon or at least watching the angles.

Stars with so many forward light sources should probably be smaller etc. This will also probably help with getting the sun brighter. Higher contrast in the source background or more black should push that up some.

Maybe later I can try and create an example mockup. Hope that helps. Just anger typed that ...

Gallery at PDN-Fans