How did GIMP's download link end up on Paint.NET's webpages?

I'm running a series of blog posts for people new to Paint.NET ( Making Images for Custom Cards ) and included a link to the main download page. More than one ended up downloading GIMP instead, and of course got lost in trying to figure it out. I've nothing against it but even I have a hard time with its UI so don't use it myself.

But what's weird to me is the GIMP logo is presented foremost in the page while the Dot.NET link is off to the right as if the viewer is intended to get GIMP rather than Paint.NET. And if that's the intended result I can report it's working. I had to change the blog link to the actual direct file download to be sure my readers would connect.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering WTF.

How'd this come about?

They're called ads. They pay the bills.

Fair enough but I can't see a way of installing paint.net without installing these junk programs now. Paint.net is approved by my company for installation but all this gimp stuff etc is not, and who knows what spyware and adware etc gets stuck into them.

Can you give us a link to just the paint.net msi ? without that I can't use it anymore.

thanks

Fair enough but I can't see a way of installing paint.net without installing these junk programs now. Paint.net is approved by my company for installation but all this gimp stuff etc is not, and who knows what spyware and adware etc gets stuck into them.

Can you give us a link to just the paint.net msi ? without that I can't use it anymore.

thanks

Also my AV program (eset) is blocking the gimp stuff, so no way to download for me at the moment. They must be blocking it for a reason

a friend of muine also had this problem.. it can be confusing but here is a direct link to the zip file---

http://www.dotpdn.co....10.Install.zip

as far as having the right program.. look for the PDN paint brush icon.. the one you will findat the top left of this very page.. it will be the PDN icon for the program on your computer as well

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Just a note that if Paint.net is already installed, you should recommend the use of the built in updater (Utilities > Check for updates).

Give a link to the CNET version instead, thats up to date quite quickly.

http://download.cnet.com/Paint-NET/3000-2192_4-10338146.html

NO. Do not do this. CNET wraps all downloads in stuff that's tantamount to spyware. Crapware at best.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Rick, is there any way to "report" certain ads on the site, to get them pulled down? It does seem to present some pretty major problems.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Yeah **** download.com.

**** = your favorite 4 letter word

Rick, I can't install it unless I can get an install off a reputable site.

Can't you just give us a link on here to the spyware free installer ?

Its either that or I stay with paint which is a bummer !

thx

No one can miss that link:

yhsjjie-15.png

Very true. I'd forgotten ABP was running!