Automatic updates

Hello everyone,

the automatic update check is a nice feature, if and when you let the user decide if he actually wants it! It's horribly annoying being forced to update when you're just popping in to use the application for a few minutes! Please, please, add a button that allows you to cancel the update!

I don't want to run it after I'm finished either, it takes far too much resources and time. I use paint.net on many different machines and VMs, I keep having to uncheck the update checkbox to escape this annoying "feature". Thanks for an otherwise great product!

Go to Utilities, click the "Check for Updates" selection, when the Update window appears, click the "Options" button, this will let you disable the Automatic check for Updates and save your preference

Edited by mountnman
  • Upvote 1

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Well that's why it has an "Install when I exit" button ... which I added specifically to fix the annoyance of, "I just wanted to use Paint.NET for a quick minute, and I don't use it very often, and it seems like it's always pestering me to update."

Also, you can still just click the X on the dialog if you don't want to apply the update at all. I highly recommend not doing that, however.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

OH NO RICK this program is TOO CONVENIENT!!!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I suppose you're right. If you're using a lower-end machine or VM, it can be a bit of a drag to wait for the updater to finish its work. Ok, cynical snide comment retracted. But not deleted, I still think it was funny. :)

How about this one, courtesy of me running PdN, Adobe Illustrator, a Chrome tab with Netflix, and a batch operation on Adobe Photoshop: leave the update dialog open until you're ready to let it happen. It works pretty well; no matter how low-end your rig, it should be able to update PdN pretty comfortably while you're in the bathroom or making a cup of coffee or whatever. So leave the dialog box open, feel nature's call, and then click "go for it!"

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.