Problem painting with transparent brushes

I've started to try out digital painting, and have been looking for a paint program with the basic features I want without a bunch of extra stuff to get in my way and slow the program down. I've tried a few dozen programs at least, and so far I like Paint.net the most. There is one problem that is preventing me from using it exclusively over something like the GIMP or SAI, and that is the way it handles transparent brushes. When I go to paint with an opaque brush the end result is just hideous. I've attached an image to demonstrate what I mean, next to the type of stroke I want that I did in the GIMP. Any ideas?

post-85833-131862901101_thumb.png

Edited by Swathy

Add new layer, lower opacity, paint with opaque brush. <-this won't get exactly what you are trying for, but at least it doesn't look choppy.

EDIT:Another thing you could try is to lower the opacity of the brush by a lot (around 10-20) and just paint slowly. If you have a pen tablet, this would probably be the better way to get what you are looking for.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I gave your replies a shot, and those solutions just won't work for me. In addition to being cumbersome to implement, they don't allow me to 'build up' my paint by going over the same area later with the same brush. I suppose some kind of spray tool that could continuously spray the same brush at a low setting would work, but I can't find any kind of plugin that allows me to do this. Thanks for the replies.

edit: I suppose I will ask here that this feature to be implemented. The ability to paint with smooth, opaque brushes allows you to do all sorts of nifty things, from water color effects to realistic color blending on your canvas. I think if paint.net had this feature it would be the perfect program for my purposes, and probably for many other people as well.

Edited by Swathy

I edited my post with another suggestion a few minutes before you posted, so it appears you didn't see it. Try that and see how you like it. If it is still a little too choppy, use a little gaussian blur as well.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo