On specific color values

While I was messing with the HSV values in the pallette window I noticed that often some of the values would change from what I'd specified by increments of 1 or 2. I understand that this is a pretty small change but I still found it bothersome that something was keeping me from having complete control over what I wanted the color to be.

Is this intentional? Is this some overlooked bug? Is this common in other digital art programs? Some unavoidable result of whatever is used to calculate the color values? Something I'm missing here?

I would really appreciate if somebody were to shed some light on this.

I've also been having this issue, and it is especially noticeable when making pixel art. If anyone has an answer, please give! :(

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I've been noticing this for the HSV sliders in the pallette window. Let's say I set the S to a value of 40. I click on a different color to edit that, and then come back to see it is 39. Is this any clearer? I can take screen shots to show you if I'm doing a bad job of describing it to you.

This happens for all of the Sliders in HSV, but I don't know if it does for RGB.

Also, my version is 3.5.8. if that is of any help. I think it'd be a good idea to see what version PDNnoob is using as well

That's just rounding errors. Colors are stored in RGB format, even if you set them with the HSV sliders.

When you set a color with the HSV sliders, it gets converted to an RGB color. If you save it in the palette and choose it again, it's loading the RGB color, and converting it back to HSV to set those sliders. So it's getting round-tripped from HSV->RGB->HSV.

• Upvote 1

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

That's just rounding errors. Colors are stored in RGB format, even if you set them with the HSV sliders.

When you set a color with the HSV sliders, it gets converted to an RGB color. If you save it in the palette and choose it again, it's loading the RGB color, and converting it back to HSV to set those sliders. So it's getting round-tripped from HSV->RGB->HSV.

Thanks so much, pyro! That's something I'll need to take note of in the future...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'm not 100% sure but..... there probably isn't a perfect mapping of RGB -> HSV. Much like there is no perfect mapping of RGB to CYMK.

You can rest assured that the RGB values will not change, but their interpretations in the HSV values may. It's down to rounding - as Pyrochild said.

That sounds like a bug to me.

Intentional, perhaps, but I don't think it's really acceptable to let colors you select be changed due to rounding tips while converting.

It's not a bug at all. No colors are being changed.

If you input 40, and then the value gets changed to 39, it's because both of those were exactly the same RGB color, so you have nothing to worry about. And all the formats store RGB colors anyway so you wouldn't gain anything from having paint.net use HSV internally.

Edited by Faral

Not really a failure...but that's just semantics. Yes, it's an inherent limitation in the differences between HSV, RGB, and CMYK. In each colorspace, there are colors that the other cannot render, or references to colors that will come out identical. There are literally an infinite number of colors that can be described in the world; RGB can only describe 16,277,216 of them (want to see them all? Click Here). That's a lot of colors (your computer will choke on it if it's not up to the task), but there are still subtle, undetectable variations between even 112, 112, 112 (hex #707070) and 112, 112, 113 (hex #707071). An infinite number of them. So RGB describes a mere 16.8 million colors, CMYK describes most of those but not all and a bunch more besides, and HSV overlaps both while describing still more colors. There are other models, too: Tristimulus, CIE, Pantone, sRGB, CcMmYK, YPbPr, RYB - all describing color spaces which overlap but don't fit completely inside the others.

Be thankful that PdN only deals with RGB and HSV (with Alpha).

(Okay, so technically, HSV is a description of RGB. But the point stands.)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.