[Feature] Export as ...

rockaut

First: i tried to submit per email (contact@getpaint.net) as noted on contact page. always getting failed mails ...

What i wanted to send you was:

Heja Rick,

first of i would like to thank you for your ongoing work. Im using p.net since ... ever ;-)

And since then i have missed the one feature: "Export as ..." I'm using p.net for a lot of webgraphics, for that it would be extremly usefull if i could work on the "pdn master" even after i saved it to another file(extension).

Have a fine day,MarkusGreathings from Austria ;-)

That's impossible regardless of the program, you cant edit individual layers on .jpeg, .gif, .png, etc files. Always save your work as a .pdn file first and then save as your desired file. That way if you need to make changes later you can re-open the .pdn.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_lr1sbohvzl1qbh4zh.png

Blog                     Twitter                     My Gallery

What? No wait, you don't understand what i meant.

I always save my file in pdn format, thats clear. If you save the pdn as jpg, gif or whatever Paint.net is then using the saved file and not the original pdn. What i want is this - a new File -> Export as ... Option where the pdn is saved in a new file bute Paint.net is still using the pdn after that. So it would be possible to use the new jpg, gif or whatever in my project environment but still working on the pdn without closing an reopening the file.

A workaround that I use is:

Flatten, Save As "wahetever.png", Undo Flatten, Save As "originalPDNproject.pdn", continue my work.

Not as convenient as "Export As" but not too much trouble either.

Xkds4Lh.png

If you are dealing with small canvas (actual size 100% must fit in the window) then try to find a good screenshot application that supports Auto Save, Name, fixed size and System-wide hotkeys,( there is some free great ones)

What I do usually when creating animations, I make the change in the layer/layers that I need then take a snapshot, and for best result if the quality is important, choose PNG format for the file type, this way you will get a lossless PNG, and you will save 90-95% of the time.

Hint: set your screen resolution to maximum for bigger canvas size.

EDIT: forgot to mention, by this way you don't go through the flatten and the undo.

Edited by yellowman

• 2 weeks later...

SO you want to edit a PDN file, and when its saved, all changes move onto a predifined JPEG file?

Must be possible, but its not hard to flatten and save as a JPEg then undo and continue, but yes it does get confusing sometimes with multiple files that all look the same.

eOdUjVm.jpg

• 1 month later...

Please please please add this feature.

It is the only thing lacking in this excellent free software!

One step better would be to also have a single button for either "Save and Export as default export format" or "Save and Export as last export format".

It could save us hours!

Thanks.

A workaround that I use is:

Flatten, Save As "wahetever.png", Undo Flatten, Save As "originalPDNproject.pdn", continue my work.

This is exactly why this feature is needed!

The two last steps are horrible, especially if you are trying quick iterations of how an image would look inside a program/website.

You are also skipping all the steps required just to change filename, filetype, compression-settings etc. Some times you might even have the working directory in a different place than the export-directory. Actually I've just started writing a batch pdn->png converter just for this reason, converting is part of the build process of my application and then i can use paint.net just for editing without thinking of filetypes etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The two last steps are horrible, especially if you are trying quick iterations of how an image would look inside a program/website.

You are also skipping all the steps required just to change filename, filetype, compression-settings etc. Some times you might even have the working directory in a different place than the export-directory. Actually I've just started writing a batch pdn->png converter just for this reason, converting is part of the build process of my application and then i can use paint.net just for editing without thinking of filetypes etc.

Completely agree. This feature should be here since it's normal in other image editors.

Just to say there is a pdn2png.exe out there.

midoras signature.gif