Please imrpove the "Save as..." dialog

RejZoR

I'm using Paint.NET pretty much ever it was first released to public and i just love it. Small, powerful, simple and free. But the "Save as..." dialog was getting on my nerves for quite some time now. The thing is, it works for what it was designed, the problem is that it doesn't work too well when your target is to get the best image quality at the smallest size. Sometimes JPEG creates the smallest file, other time its PNG. But you can't know that until you actually chose one filetype and then you get to the preview screen where you see the resulting file size and quality. And if you don't like it you have to repeat the whole proces of going into the File dropdown menu and selecting "Save as..." again.

Couldn't it be done in a way that "Save as..." dialog would contain all 4 features. Preview, file size, file type and save destination in the same dialog? So you can quickly switch between for example PNG or JPEG and see which produces the best results and when you see which one is the best you hit the Save button. Which makes image editing light years faster than if you have to open the dialog over and over again from scratch just to see which format creates the smallest file. Or having the Save destination being selected after you pick the image format and settings, not before it like it is now.

rejzor.png

But can't you place it after you select image quality, not before? I can hardly believe that this cannot be done?

Oh so you mean give the quality prompt before it asks for a filename/location to be saved?

I guess that depends on if the quality prompt depends on a filename and location or not

SamusSig-1.png

I'm using Paint.NET pretty much ever it was first released to public and i just love it. Small, powerful, simple and free. But the "Save as..." dialog was getting on my nerves for quite some time now. The thing is, it works for what it was designed, the problem is that it doesn't work too well when your target is to get the best image quality at the smallest size. Sometimes JPEG creates the smallest file, other time its PNG. But you can't know that until you actually chose one filetype and then you get to the preview screen where you see the resulting file size and quality. And if you don't like it you have to repeat the whole proces of going into the File dropdown menu and selecting "Save as..." again.

Couldn't it be done in a way that "Save as..." dialog would contain all 4 features. Preview, file size, file type and save destination in the same dialog? So you can quickly switch between for example PNG or JPEG and see which produces the best results and when you see which one is the best you hit the Save button. Which makes image editing light years faster than if you have to open the dialog over and over again from scratch just to see which format creates the smallest file. Or having the Save destination being selected after you pick the image format and settings, not before it like it is now.

Unfortunately, you are going to encounter this issue with pretty much every image editing software for windows and, for that matter, every windows program with a "save as" dialog box. It's just something you will have to deal with if you plan on using a computer.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

No.

lol can we get an explanation why you can't switch them around?

I'll take your word that it can't be done, but people will always stop asking, or become more understanding when you provide a quick reason to your answer.

SamusSig-1.png

lol can we get an explanation why you can't switch them around?

I'll take your word that it can't be done, but people will always stop asking, or become more understanding when you provide a quick reason to your answer.

The "Save As" dialog is part of Windows. It cannot be extended that far; even if it could, it would be a daunting and fragile operation.

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

pdnnoob, that was established. However the suggestion was to have the dialogue box that controls quality appear before the Windows "Save as" prompt asks for a filename/destination. That way you could discover the file size before choosing a filename and destination

SamusSig-1.png

Look, I really don't have the time or energy to write up a novella with deep technical explanations as to why I will not be doing a certain work item.

It's not happening. Please, let it rest.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg