Sign in to follow this  
NinjaManDan21

Paint.net Idea Brainstorming

I though we could use a brainstorming thread. Somewhere where users could post ideas random, specific or other wise here. Whether it's tutorial ideas, thread ideas, forum ideas, or just an idea for something to make in pdn, post it here.

That way other users, guests, and admins can be inspired and helped to unlock their flow of ideas. (everyone gets artist block from time to time):mrgreen:

I had a thought lastnight for a plugin that just switches color values around.

blue <--> Yellow

175 <---> 201

or more. You could do 1 shift, or two shift, bumping all values to the right. Like rotating them between the RBG value spots.

Idk if it's already been done though. The plugin itself would take like...2 minutes to make. Idk what the real "huzzah" would be about it. Just a nifty effect I spose.

As a newbie, I don't understand why threads not following forum policies are allowed to remain, albeit "locked". It's especially annoying in the Tutorial subforum. I've clicked on several headings expecting to find tutorials and discovering that major parts of the turorials are missing (images, links, etc.) rendering them pretty useless as tutorials. These tutorials are closed or locked by Pyro or somebody, but why are they still sitting there taking up space? Pyro just locked a thread I had started and had forgotten about in the Pictorium subforum. Why not attach it to my new thread or delete it altogether?

It's usually a good policy for forum/website managers not to delete threads. I'm not 100% sure on the exact reasons, but it's generally because you never know when it will be needed in the future.

I've had the responsibility of handling a sub forum once, and the one thread I deleted came back to bite me in the butt.

There's usually an "Archive" forum though, that you can't see. It's the equivalent of a TrashCan in Windows, where you "delete" things, but it's really just moved to a different folder out of sight.

As for why they don't move/merge threads...they're lazy :P But really they're lazy because it's not exactly their job to merge threads. It's nice when they do, but it's rather annoying for them to search through all your topics to find your thread, then merge the two.

Ultimately it should be our responsibility to keep track of our own threads, like in the Pictorium, so it, again, comes back to "it's not exactly their job"

I'd assume there's an archive sub forum here though. Of course none of us regulars can see it, if it does exist, but there should be one

Ultimately it should be our responsibility to keep track of our own threads, like in the Pictorium, so it, again, comes back to "it's not exactly their job"

Agreed. And to read the rules. Post in the right place etc

When we don't, I think it's us who are lazy.

No-one else :);)

As a newbie, I don't understand why threads not following forum policies are allowed to remain, albeit "locked".

They are closed or locked to stop further input into the thread. Sometimes the thread will still retain valuable information so it remains on the forum so it is still discoverable.

Consider a necropost on an old thread. We close these, but the thread remains a source of information. If we delete the thread we lose the information.

Tutorials are a different case. If you post a terrible tutorial and I spot it, sigh, then delete it you're just going to repost it in one form or another, right? If I close the tutorial and give you the reason why then you learn a little. Other users can still see your tutorial and may benefit from it. Everyone who reads the closed tutorial will understand why it was closed, so maybe they will not make the same mistake.

... and discovering that major parts of the turorials are missing (images, links, etc.) rendering them pretty useless as tutorials.

Images hosted off site are out of our control. We do try to encourage users to update the images if they suddenly disappear, but if the user is gone too then there is little we can do. Deleting such a tutorial might be removing something truly excellent.

These tutorials are closed or locked by Pyro or somebody, but why are they still sitting there taking up space?

They don't take up much space really. As further input to the thread is stopped, closed threads sink down the list of active threads and are eventually forgotten. We can and do periodically prune some worthless threads. It's just good housekeeping :D

My PDN dream involves a line tool that prompts the user to input the amount of anchor points required.

To seperate a target object from an image (ie. remove the entire background of a photo where a plane might be the desired foreground object), I will commonly use the line tool in an antiliased state at a thickness of approx. 6 pixels to isolate the plane, and the use the anchor points for fine adjustment. An option to control the amount of anchor points would make this an extremely fast process!

Thereafter the background is gone in one click, followed by the 6 pixel line in another click, leaving feathering or AA's Assistant to finish things off!

Obviously there are other ways of removing the background such as playing with the threshold, grim color reaper, magic wand selection, etc, however for my mind this is the most accurate method that works in all conditions.

I`d like a way of being able to type in the exact length of a line that you want, or radius for a circle. I know there is the little info bar at the bottom left hand corner but it can be tricky getting the length you want.

I think the anchor points idea is a good one as well .

Edited by Goonfella

Thanks EER for explaining the way the system works! (I could have but I'm not as good at explainations);)

You admins and mods are a good thing and anyone who thinks otherwise...shame on you.

Good to see this topic gain use.

I agree ventor1 and goonfella, that would be a good addition!