Request permission to upload a PORTABLE version of PDN somewhere.

OS = Windows 7 home premium 32-bit version.

To whoever is supposed to answer this kind of question, I have a request.

(For the rest of this topic, I'll refer to Paint.NET as PDN.)

I have made a portable version of PDN 3.5.8 (it only took about 5 minutes & zero programming). I know that there is a VERY big need for a portable version of it, so that would be extremely useful & appreciated by a lot of users of PDN. I too needed a portable version, because I couldn't install a NON-portable version of it, read next paragraph for why.

For anybody who doubts that anybody would genuinely NEED a portable version of PDN, I'll explain. I had an earlier version of PDN (I forget now which version) installed on my Windows 7 computer. I was going to install the very latest version, so I deleted the older version first, but instead of running the un-installer, I deleted it manually. Before anybody starts getting violent about "Why did you do something that stupid?", I had no idea that deleting a program would basically blow Windows 7's brains out. After that, I couldn't BRIBE Windows 7 into re-installing any version of PDN, so I tried to make a portable version of it.

As I said, I have made a portable version of PDN 3.5.8, & since it works in my situation, other who are in the "Un-install disaster situation" should also be able to use the same solution. So I request permission to upload this "PDN portable 3.5.8" (suggested name) to a place(s) of your choice so that everybody who has the required .NET framework can use it. Btw, my thanks go out to the creators of PDN & to LiberKey for making all of this possible.

Edited by wakanasakai

I think you might have deleted the .net framework. If that's what happened, I would recommend reinstalling it...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I most definitely did NOT delete ANY .Net framework. Most people can't even FIND the .Net frameworks on their computers without a lot of searching. (I know where they are, but that's not my point.)

I knew exactly where my old version of PDN was installed (in the program files section), which is where I deleted it from. Besides, if I DID delete one of the .Net frameworks, a PORTABLE version of PDN wouldn't work either, unless I installed Mono or DotGnu as a work-around (which I haven't done).

Edited by wakanasakai

I most definitely did NOT delete ANY .Net framework. Most people can't even FIND the .Net frameworks on their computers without a lot of searching. (I know where they are, but that's not my point.)

I knew exactly where my old version of PDN was installed (in the program files section), which is where I deleted it from. Besides, if I DID delete one of the .Net frameworks, a PORTABLE version of PDN wouldn't work either, unless I installed Mono or DotGnu as a work-around (which I haven't done).

Ok. It was JUST a SUGGESTION...I wasn't TRYING to SAY you were IGNORANT or ANYTHING. You DIDN'T say ANYTHING about WHAT EXACTLY was DELETED, so I PRESENTED a POSSIBLE CAUSE for the problem YOU were ASKING for HELP with. As it turns out, that wasn't what happened, so you could have just said it wasn't and waited for a better answer.

Just fyi, caps really change the tone of a post, usually in a negative way. As it is, I'm not sure how you intended your post to sound, but whether intended or not, that seemed pretty angry and defensive. I've seen flame wars start from little things like that, so please, don't type that way.

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

There's already a portable version though: http://forums.getpai...-questions-faq/

Is there a portable version of Paint.NET?

Not officially, no. Paint.NET is not designed to be, nor tested as, a portable application. However, LiberKey has permission to distribute a portable version of Paint.NET. If you use their portable version, please direct all troubleshooting questions to them. (This is by no means some kind of special exclusive contract or promotional deal, nor is it an endorsement. They're just the first that asked.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@pdnnoob

Caps are easier for some of us to use than the italicize tags, so just interpret caps as such rather than attempting to take un-intended offense. Besides, my first post made it clear that what was deleted was the old version of PDN.

@lila

If you mean a small/portable version of PDN 3.5.8, I can PM you a link to it. You should be able to run it as long as you have one of the supported Windows systems. I've heard that you can use Mono or DotGNU to get PDN to run on non Windows systems too, but I haven't tested that myself.

@Rick

The portable version that you refer to has to be sand-boxed in order to run. I simply UN-sand-boxed it (that's why it only took me 5 minutes & zero programming to make it). So does this mean yes ? No? Maybe? I'll sleep on it? Other? I remember reading that your agreement with LiberKey isn't exclusive, so I'm hoping for at least a maybe. I didn't say this before, but I would offer it completely for free, & not take credit for making it if that clears anything up.

Edited by wakanasakai

@pdnnoob

Caps are easier for some of us to use than the italicize tags, so just interpret caps as such rather than attempting to take un-intended offense.

The point is, if you emphasize certain words in a sentence in any way, it can lead to the post sounding offensive. I, personally, don't take offense at such formatting, but I know plenty of people who do. My post was only intended to serve as a reminder to be careful how you format your text because it is difficult to detect emotion of the internet.
Besides, my first post made it clear that what was deleted was the old version of PDN.

You never know. Some people really do forget to plug in their photocopiers before going to customer service for help. I don't know you, so I wasn't sure exactly how simple your issue was.

@pdnnoob

Caps are easier for some of us to use than the italicize tags, so just interpret caps as such rather than attempting to take un-intended offense. Besides, my first post made it clear that what was deleted was the old version of PDN.

@lila

If you mean a small/portable version of PDN 3.5.8, I can PM you a link to it. You should be able to run it as long as you have one of the supported Windows systems. I've heard that you can use Mono or DotGNU to get PDN to run on non Windows systems too, but I haven't tested that myself.

@Rick

The portable version that you refer to has to be sand-boxed in order to run. I simply UN-sand-boxed it (that's why it only took me 5 minutes & zero programming to make it). So does this mean yes ? No? Maybe? I'll sleep on it? Other? I remember reading that your agreement with LiberKey isn't exclusive, so I'm hoping for at least a maybe. I didn't say this before, but I would offer it completely for free, & not take credit for making it if that clears anything up.

Yeah it's fine if you upload it, you have my permission so long as you haven't modified any of the Paint.NET binaries (and you haven't given me any indication that you have) ... where are you uploading it to?

Make sure to test that it works on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. I seem to remember LiberKey had a few issues with that at first.

(I really don't understand why there's so much shouting and emotion in this topic? :( )

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg