download pages confusion

gubment_cheez

hello, I've been using PDN since I think 2.6. regardless, today I introduced an acquaintance to PDN. during the conversation, there was a bit of confusion for him. the conversation took place online, and went like this

<@warg0x4e> BekarfelASUS, when I go to download Paint.NET, there is a GIMP add to download GIMP, and I keep clicking it mistakingly

<@warg0x4e> Actually, everything I click takes me to download GIMP...

<@warg0x4e> found it

<@warg0x4e> Why do they advertise GIMP so heavily, BekarfelASUS ?

<+BekarfelASUS> err

<+BekarfelASUS> http://www.getpaint.net/download.html#download ?

<@warg0x4e> Yup, where I went

<@warg0x4e> do you not see the GIMP add?

<+BekarfelASUS> no. of course I'm using Adblock

<@warg0x4e> And the GIMP ad after you click the Download Now in the table?

<+BekarfelASUS> you're probably seeing Google Adwords

<@warg0x4e> Ah, well, it's just odd

<@warg0x4e> It's not Google AdWords

<+BekarfelASUS> hmm, lemmie disable adblock

<+BekarfelASUS> oh wow. I do see it

<+BekarfelASUS> yeah, that's google ads

<+BekarfelASUS> I dunno

<@warg0x4e> BekarfelASUS, http://i.imgur.com/BUPxB.png

in the final link he posted, you can see the similarities of the two download pages, and the dissimilarities between the advertisement and the actual download links within each page

I seem to remember a couple of years back, Rick saying that he disliked the use of mile high interfaces. unfortunately that's exactly what this is. that advertisement is literally the largest thing on either one of the pages. in general, I don't want to question how Rick earns an income for a decidedly free program, but with advertisements like this I feel he would be selling off his potential users to someone else.

full disclosure: ads like this are what put me in the adblock camp

You know the place.

Ads pay the bills. Paying bills keeps the website up, etc. Adblock isn't used by 99% of people. I'm not offended if you use Adblock, or just give your friend a direct link to the final download page.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ads pay the bills. Paying bills keeps the website up, etc. Adblock isn't used by 99% of people. I'm not offended if you use Adblock, or just give your friend a direct link to the final download page.

I'll just use and recommend GIMP, since you're advertising it so loudly. Thanks, and good luck.

Reading is key. It tells you right on the page exactly what to click on to download Paint.NET.

right, there are four different "Download Now" locations in the left window, and three in the right. the biggest ones are, by far, the ones for GIMP. like I said before, I don't mind if Rick has advertisements on his pages, I would just ask that they not be misleading. these advertisements literally have no textual indication of who they belong to. the graphic literally had no meaning to me without Warg's indication that it was for GIMP. what warg sees is

GIMP

100% FREE

DOWNLOAD

what I see is

100% FREE

DOWNLOAD

1. I know that PDN is free.
  2. This is the first thing I see on the page (contrary to popular opinion, what is at the top of the page is not neccessarily the first thing looked at in the page)
  3. This looks like it's the download for PDN

if that's your goal... I.. I don't know. I guess it's just agree to disagree and live under my adblock umbrella

You know the place.

Can't you block certain types of ads from within AdSense?

In any case, people have been complaining about this since forever and something does need to be done.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I'll just use and recommend GIMP, since you're advertising it so loudly. Thanks, and good luck.

Oh, this one is a mature response.

Now, seriously. Don't you want to make money? Or at least respect people who do? Rick has to keep food on the table.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.