Reverse popout text. help needed

Rext

Hey guys it's Rext. I am making my website and for the graphics I want to do the cool look of "cutout" text. Basically it is the opposite of the text popout effect. It is supposed to look like it was carved out of the background. I keep trying but I can't seem to get it right. Can anyone help me?

PS: It looks like the apple logo at the top of the mac screen next to like finder.

How about something like this:

Actually, I'm in the middle of writing a tutorial for doing this on objects made in Shape 3D. The method itself can be used for flat surfaces as well.

I did write a tutorial earlier with a similar technique, but found it had been used in a different tutorial that advertised it differently, so I had it locked.

Let me know if that is what you are looking for. (the shadow direction can be adjusted and you can keep the background image inside the text if you want.)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

wow those are all really cool, but I need a much simpler style. I need the reverse of this...

pop%20hello.png

So it looks like the text is sinking into the button not poping off.

Edited by Rext

So...like the top image here?

cut-outtext.png

The one on the bottom is what I was suggesting. Now that I compare the two, there's a pretty big difference even though it's such a small change o.o

I will admit I definitely could have done a much better job with the top image, though. It looks a bit...lifeless :/ It wouldn't be too difficult to add a small shadow around the edge.

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

So...like the top image here?

cut-outtext.png

The one on the bottom is what I was suggesting. Now that I compare the two, there's a pretty big difference even though it's such a small change o.o

I will admit I definitely could have done a much better job with the top image, though. It looks a bit...lifeless :/ It wouldn't be too difficult to add a small shadow around the edge.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!! bottom is exactly what I need how do you do that?

1. Type your text on a blank layer in black.

2. Duplicate the layer and use the brightness/contrast adjustment to change the top layer to white.

3. Run Gaussian blur the white text at your desired radius. The more you blur, the farther back the "back" will appear.

4. Move the blurred white text in whatever direction you wish. I wouldn't suggest moving it any more than the radius of your Gaussian blur, but any distance less would be ok.

5. Duplicate the black text layer and add a blank layer under the duplicated layer.

6. Use the paint bucket to fill the blank layer with white.

7. Merge one of the duplicated text layers with the white layer (make sure it shows up as black text on white background)

8. Press ctrl+a then ctrl+c, then turn off visibility of the layer.

9. Select the blurry white text layer, then run alpha mask with "paste from clipboard" and "mix alpha" checked. The result should be that all the white outside the text is removed

10. Adjust the transparency of the layer as desired.

Done! I'll have the tutorial posted with images sometime within the next month, but if you have difficulty following it before then, I might be more quick about it ;)

From one noob to a pdnnoob, I find the Alpha Mask works just fine with black on transparent.

Hence, after step 4 above, one could...

5. Select the black text layer and press Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+C then Ctrl+D. (Select All, Copy, Deselect) (instead of steps 5, 6 and 7 above)

6. Select the blurry white text layer, then run alpha mask with "paste from clipboard" and "mix alpha" checked. The result should be that all the white outside the text is removed. (same as step 9 above)

7. Adjust the transparency of the layer as desired. (same as step 10 above)

Edited by Djisves

Xkds4Lh.png

From one noob to a pdnnoob, I find the Alpha Mask works just fine with black on transparent.

Hence, after step 4 above, one could...

5. Select the black text layer and press Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+C then Ctrl+D. (Select All, Copy, Deselect) (instead of steps 5, 6 and 7 above)

6. Select the blurry white text layer, then run alpha mask with "paste from clipboard" and "mix alpha" checked. The result should be that all the white outside the text is removed. (same as step 9 above)

7. Adjust the transparency of the layer as desired. (same as step 10 above)

That is true. The extra step really is a habit I built after some bad experiences with stray pixels. The white background just helps me clear things up if needed. Go ahead and ignore those steps, I'll be off adjusting my tutorial to match ;)