Changing IndirectUI control values

pikalek

Is it possible to dynamically change the min/max property of a slider control generated via the IndirectUI?

Specifically, I want to limit a max value based on the bounds of the selection region.

I tried using some astronomically large limit & then clamping the amount; this worked, but the UI felt like it handled poorly; most of the slider range becomes functionally useless & the usable range becomes very 'touchy'. Using a smaller limit helps, but then it hamstrings the plugin with an artificial limit.

Reviewing the archives, I found a related, older discussion on changing UI control values using IndirectUI, but I don't see how the SoftMutuallyBoundMinMaxRule would help my problem since it only involves one control.

Can I coax this behavior out of the IndirectUI via clever programming or some other IndirectUI?

Could you change your control to a "percentage"?

I could, but the result is not as precise as I'd like as the user cannot consistently indicate how many pixels to shift the selection by. Your idea is certainly a good one & is on my short list alternatives. I'm still interested in knowing if IndirectUI can solve this problem directly though.

Edited by pikalek

Is it possible to dynamically change the min/max property of a slider control generated via the IndirectUI?

No, you cannot do this.

The property collection you create is meant to be a "schema" for your effect, and independent of the incoming data (Surface). So, OnCreatePropertyCollection() won't be a good place to do this type of change.

This could probably be accomplished with a rule, if such a rule existed. There just hasn't been anyone asking for this type of feature before now.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

No, you cannot do this.

The property collection you create is meant to be a "schema" for your effect, and independent of the incoming data (Surface). So, OnCreatePropertyCollection() won't be a good place to do this type of change.

This could probably be accomplished with a rule, if such a rule existed. There just hasn't been anyone asking for this type of feature before now.

Thanks for the clarification - I was pretty sure, there was still the chance I had missed something. Plus, others now know as well. As BoItBait pointed out, I do have some alternatives, so I can still get by using the IndirectUI & if I really can't live the alternatives, I could always brew my own UI with Visual Studio.

Anyway, I imagine it's called IndirectUI for reason; while having a little more control would be convenient for my situation, there's probably higher development priorities than adding a new rule.