TV Show Discussion Thread

Sfifer

I'm normally not a fan of Steve Carell, (I didn't care for The Office, etc.) but I just finished watching the show:

Space Force  7.5/10

and, he did a pretty good job here. His character is lovable and funny. But, to be honest, it is John Malkovich that steals the show.

Also, I'm a big fan of Fred Willard (RIP) and his scenes were pretty funny here.  I wish there would be more of him in this. :(

Throughout the series there were some truly laugh out loud moments.  The ten half-hour episodes are available on Netflix.  Worth the stream.

• Like 1

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

13 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Space Force  7.5/10

John Malkovich is a hoot on this show.  I enjoyed watching it.

Currently watching the latest season of 'The Expanse' on Amazon. That's one crazy show. I heard the next season is already filmed; hopes it drops by the end of the year.

I need to know 'what' is going on!.... (I didn't read the books...)  😲

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality drama (not sci-fi or fantasy) which is available on DVD?

8 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality drama (not sci-fi or fantasy) which is available on DVD?

Here's some stuff I really enjoy:

Midsomer Murders - Mystery series, slower paced, nice characters--a very comfortable show.

Poirot - Mystery series based on Agatha Christie's crime novels and short stories. Stars David Suchet, the best Poirot ever to play the character.

Castle - Police procedural. Stars Nathan Fillion.

Lovejoy - Comedy/Crime/Drama - Stars Ian McShane as an antiques dealer/con-artist.

Deadwood - Crime/History - You must like cussing to enjoy this one... :D 

The Blacklist - Crime/Drama - James Spader is incredible in this. Lots of good characters to get into. Be ready to root for the bad guy.

Zen - Crime/Drama - a short series, really good though.

Me or my dad own all of these on DVD, so I know they're available.

• Upvote 1

Click to play:
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

Great list! Thank you. Deadwood & the Blacklist are the first I'll investigate.

Right, I've ordered the Blacklist season one. Thanks for the tips!

• 2 weeks later...

Hated the Blacklist. I lasted no more than 10 minutes of the first episode. Too many "You've gotta be kidding me" moments. I turned it off when the FBI sent a military helicopter and two black vans with flashing lights to collect faux Agent Starling from her home on her first day.

I'm glad I only bought the first season. Rating: awful.

I'll try Deadwood next.

13 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'll try Deadwood next.

I highly recommend it.  It was a great series!  :D

On 8/18/2020 at 1:31 PM, BoltBait said:

Well, damn, you could give it more of a chance...

9 hours ago, welshblue said:

It really is worth persevering

I'm very particular about what I spend my time on. Unfortunately the Blacklist just didn't appeal. In recent times I've also turned off:

• Cracker (1/2 of one episode)
  • Breaking Bad (one episode)
  • Dead Man's Walk (30 minutes)

A year or two ago I watched the first season of Walking Dead (under sufference). I won't be going back for more despite being a Zombie fan.

What have I liked?

• Vikings (up to the third season, then I lost interest)
  • The Fall (all three seasons - twice. It was that good.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I watched the first 3 (of 7) episodes of Netflix's The Queen's Gambit last night.  9/10

Not only is it an interesting story with interesting characters... but, they've done an absolutely amazing job recreating the time period.

One interesting thing about this series is that there isn't a typical villain. The main character, Beth Harmon, basically has to defeat her own demons in order to succeed--she is her own worst enemy.

EDIT: I just finished all 7 episodes... still 9/10. Great!

Click to play:

• 2 months later...

Redwall is coming back to the screen.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/netflix-will-adapt-brian-jacques-redwall-into-feature-film-tv-series/

I remember the original TV adaptation being very good. I should really watch it again. PBS had some great cartoons back in the day. (maybe they still do)

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and I are so loving the new series of All Creatures Great and Small, although think the housekeeper, Mrs Hall, is not really very well cast here.  She should be older and more tubby.  But we think this series is even better than the old one 😍

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I think one of the best police drama's I've ever seen is 'Line of duty'

New series starts 21 march, can't wait.

Please watch from the start.

Lost count of how many times I've thought 'bloody hell, I wasn't expecting that'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p00yzlr0/line-of-duty?xtor=SEC-1-[GOO]-[116991636629]- [497366655810] -S-[bbc iplayer line of duty]&

Edited by Manc

sig2.png

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am enjoying Leverage: Redemption, it is an Amazon/IMDb TV reboot of the American TV series Leverage.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

On 9/4/2021 at 12:59 AM, null54 said:

I am enjoying Leverage: Redemption, it is an Amazon/IMDb TV reboot of the American TV series Leverage.

+1

The comedy value is still there while including numerous call back and references.  I hope they do not bring back Sterling because they need a new rival to make the new series interesting. 

That being said, I don't think it should be considered as a "reboot," but more of a continuance of the original series.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw