Squaring up an oblique face

rrd

I'm looking for a function that lets me take a rectangular face viewed from an oblique angle, and square it up as if I were looking straight at it.

For example (sorry, can't draw pictures to show you what I mean), suppose I take a photo of an apartment building while I'm standing across the street and off to one side. I need a tool that lets me click on the four corners of the building's face and un-distorts the face, making it rectangular.

I have used a non-PDN tool (GIMP? Photoshop?) that had this capability. We used it to model the buildings at http://ray.datech-ne...TI_Gallery.html from actual photos.

Now I'd like to do this with PDN. I read about Evan Olds' Quadrilateral Reshaping and dpy's Perspective Effect. I've installed both plug-ins, and while they can do the trick with a little nudging, they're not exactly what I'm looking for.

--

rrd

Hello rrd,

The 2 plugins you mention are the best that I've found for this. Another way might be to select the face of the building with the lasso select and then use layers/rotate zoom and drag the globe icon around.

I'd be interested if others have more ideas too.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I know exactly what you really need, unfortunately PDN doesn't have this feature.

What you need actually is Google SketchUp, it is free but a little hard to learn, but fortunately this feature is so easy and direct in the program, you don't need higher skills for it.

Yellowman,

You're right; that's exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe one day PDN will have it. Until then, I guess I'll use SketchUp for that part of my work.

--

rrd

Rick has actually been very clear that PdN is not and will never be a 3d utility. It's just not made to be that sort of thing. :) It's not a failing, really. PdN is a pocketknife, it's used for a far different purpose than a machete is.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.