Prparing portrait for tshirt print

Hi,

I am just learning paint.net and would like some pointers to help me prepare a photo of a persons face for tshirt print.

I was thinking of trying to transform a photo into a cartoon style ink drawing (i.e. outline only) but can quite get it (I have tried one or two plugins and the ink/ pencil tools).

Ideally I would like something like this the logo found here but without the fill (and obviously a little more facial detail as its taken from a photo).

http://sickbeard.com/

Failing that, I could go with the classic Che Guevar style as found on countless tshirts, but not sure if its possible to easily create it

http://tribal-tshirts.com/shop/article_1702.009/Che-Guevara-Ringer-T-Shirt.html?pse=coa

Any tips appreciated as I am doing this as a gift and need to move fast (and I just dont have the skills!!!)

Thanks,

Kenam

I don't quite understand how the two are any different. My suggestion would be to use threshold (in effects>color I don't recall where you would download it if you don't happen to have it)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I don't quite understand how the two are any different. My suggestion would be to use threshold (in effects>color I don't recall where you would download it if you don't happen to have it)

I tried all the suggestions here, but with the quality of the picture this turned out best (for the Che Guevara style) - although the b&w + brightness/contrast was pretty close.

I also got a good pen outline as a border around it. Maybe after the Tshirts are printed I will post the image for criticism/ suggestions :) !

@mountnman - yep I was trying to describe a more cartoony style with the sick beard example - I got some results by pencil drawing then using threshold etc but nothing great, however I don't think it would turn out as good as the Che example without an expert hand to draw it!

Thanks again all - really lovin the simplicity and power of paint.net and especially the extensibility via plugins!

If you like plugins, here are two more options: Silhoette or Silhouette Plus