Graduating from begginer to intermediate

I've been using paint.net for a while, and have got the beginner's basics covered fairly well (layers, some effects, etc.). I'd like to make the jump to intermediate user, and start using and understanding things like alpha masking, other key pluggins, and the more complicated effects and tricks. When I stumble across something interesting, this forum is great for finding tutorials on that particular topic. The hard part is knowing where to go next. If you've never heard of alpha masking, for example, you'd never think to learn more about it or how it could help. Can anyone recommend a list of must-know topics that fall between "complete newbie" and "experienced user"?

I'd make a few visits to the tutorials section if I were you. Even if you aren't going to make anything in there, it is still worth taking a look because many explain how and examples of when to use different tools/plugins. You'll be surprised at the number of uses there are for each plugin, even if you know what they all do. I imagine I still haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done with the dents plugin myself o.o

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'd make a few visits to the tutorials section if I were you. Even if you aren't going to make anything in there, it is still worth taking a look because many explain how and examples of when to use different tools/plugins. You'll be surprised at the number of uses there are for each plugin, even if you know what they all do. I imagine I still haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done with the dents plugin myself o.o

Very good advice. Alpha masking is good but I don't use it nearly often enough. There are some really good tutes on this.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I'm a beginner boltbait.big_smile.png

boltbait.lol.png (He's talking rubbish, WelshBlue is one of the most gifted artists here. Check out Welshy's gallery: ).

I agree. But I know where he is coming from. I rarely use it (alpha masking) unless a tutorial specifically needs it. I wish I could get my head wrapped around it as well.

So you see Fjumper, we are all beginners in one way or another. There is always something new to learn. ;)

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Correct me if I'm wrong, but alpha masking adjusts the transparency of the pixels in an image based on the brightness (value) of the corresponding pixels in the mask. That makes it great for cutting out images, fading edges, and much more. Once you understand how to use it, the possibilities are endless!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Well I did a search here & could not find this tute here - maybe it isn't here.

This is really useful - at least it helped me: http://pdnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tuts&action=display&thread=64

and this one: http://pdnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=tuts&action=display&thread=106

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012