Achieving certain effects

Recently, i made this logo thingamajig...

The first one i've ever tried to make good, like high res and lots of DPI. And i am fairly satisfied with the result.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6297/logo3v7done.png

But looking more closely, i feel like the red backdrop needs some kind of ... Glare. High gloss plastic glare... Whats the trick for that?

Something in the direction of this:

759823_com_finished.jpgst_sixreflectivesweb.JPG

And then i was looking for some effect in the line of, worn/scratched plastic either do the backdrops or to the whole thing... Any trick for that?

Kinda like this:

125233622854BnRz.jpg

And then, the third question here: When i made this picture, i just cranked up the res to 5000 x 5000 so i had a lot of room to work on so this could perhaps be printed on stuff (which i found out of course needs a lot of res and DPI). But when i was done, the relative product was only 4550 x 1940. I copied the bottom layer (which effects is the one reaching the furthest to the ends of the 5000 x 5000 sketch) and put it behind the bottom layer, and what i did now was to fill the surrounding area, where there was nothing on, with a blue color with a tolerance of 1 or 2, so i could see where the utmost last pixels where to fit it down as much as possible... And what i did then was a painstaking dodging around the whole thing, with the arrow keys, until the farthest end of each side had almost the same amount of pixels on each border, afterwards taking 10, 25, 50, 100, 500 or 1000 pixels off the canvas size, until the very last on each side was only a few pixels wide, afterwards removing the bottom layer again...

*Inhaling deeply*

Now is there a way to do what i wrote about MUCH easier than what i did?!

I hope you guys can help me out. If you want to demonstrate or explain anything to me by using the original PDN file, i can post that too...

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Linked to large image - please read Rule #29

I believe what you are looking for is "crop to selection." Select what is to be kept, then hit ctrl+x

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Gloss: Select the top portion of the logo, then on a new layer, draw a white->transparent gradient within the selection. (take a look at this tutorial while you're at it)

Scratches: On a new layer, use the line tool to draw a horizontal line, then run motion blur at 0 degrees and 200 distance. (you may want to make a box selection around the line and extending a little to the left and right, just to help speed up the rendering) Copy and paste the line where you want scratches. When you are copying and pasting, make sure you also resize and rotate as well as move the line around (quick rotate: right click) so it doesn't look too repetitive. Run frosted glass and dents (low refraction settings on dents) to roughen up the lines. Adjust layer opacity to your liking.

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Gloss: Select the top portion of the logo, then on a new layer, draw a white->transparent gradient within the selection. (take a look at this tutorial while you're at it)

Scratches: On a new layer, use the line tool to draw a horizontal line, then run motion blur at 0 degrees and 200 distance. (you may want to make a box selection around the line and extending a little to the left and right, just to help speed up the rendering) Copy and paste the line where you want scratches. When you are copying and pasting, make sure you also resize and rotate as well as move the line around (quick rotate: right click) so it doesn't look too repetitive. Run frosted glass and dents (low refraction settings on dents) to roughen up the lines. Adjust layer opacity to your liking.

God dammit... I keep trying to give my logo backdrops some kind of worn look, but i can't get it right!

Does anyone want to have a go?

If you still have the whole thing in a pdn file with each part on a separate image, I could take a look at what you have to work with as well...I myself can't seem to get it right without the layers separated :/

If you still have the whole thing in a pdn file with each part on a separate image, I could take a look at what you have to work with as well...I myself can't seem to get it right without the layers separated :/

Well, i do have the original, three layers, and there's no outline effect... But i don't even think i could make the same outline effect the way i'd want to because i can't remember the settings i used for it :P

But anyways, here it is, no effects and un-cropped:

http://www.mediafire.com/?etoq35bymdlsmh9

My bad I forgot I had been working on this :( I'll get something together tomorrow for you.

I do have some questions...

Do you want JUST the red to have the plastic gloss to it? I think it may look better if the whole thing had the gloss and not just the red...

If you want all of it with the glare, do you wish for the red and the black to look separated or would you like the whole thing to appear seamless (one "piece" of plastic).

Where exactly would you like the scratches and how scratched up do you want it to be? I can do patches of scratches like it got dropped on a concrete sidewalk, or I can do scratches in one direction like it got dragged along a brick wall, or probably anything else you come up with. I just need you to decide on how that will be. Please be specific ;)

My bad I forgot I had been working on this :( I'll get something together tomorrow for you.

I do have some questions...

Do you want JUST the red to have the plastic gloss to it? I think it may look better if the whole thing had the gloss and not just the red...

If you want all of it with the glare, do you wish for the red and the black to look separated or would you like the whole thing to appear seamless (one "piece" of plastic).

Where exactly would you like the scratches and how scratched up do you want it to be? I can do patches of scratches like it got dropped on a concrete sidewalk, or I can do scratches in one direction like it got dragged along a brick wall, or probably anything else you come up with. I just need you to decide on how that will be. Please be specific ;)

Oh geesh, i can't even tell anymore! I'd love to see what CAN be done with it!

Edited by lekkimsm2500

Sorry for the wait. Here's what I got. The scratches were taking some time, so I only put a sample in there. It's still a .pdn file, so you can continue to modify it as you like.