Fatal error installing Paint.NET?

2gyuB.png

Whenever I run the installer, I get this error. I think it may be attributed to the fact that I've already installed Paint before, but I uninstalled it to install GIMP. Personally, however, I preferred Paint, so I went to install it. However, due to the shoddy way I uninstalled it (I just deleted any of the Paint.NET files I could find, I should have done it via Add or Remove Programs,) I think I get this error. Is there any way I can fix this? Paint.NET DOES show up in Add or Remove programs, but it won't let me delete it (because it's broken) or repair it.

Moved to Troubleshooting

You just went around and hit things with a hammer instead of using the uninstaller? :(

Check out the stick posts in this forum ... there's an MSI Cleanup Utility that usually fixes things here.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Moved to Troubleshooting

You just went around and hit things with a hammer instead of using the uninstaller? :(

Check out the stick posts in this forum ... there's an MSI Cleanup Utility that usually fixes things here.

Sorry, didn't see this forum :V

Anyway, it didn't occur to me at the time that it would be this troublesome to uninstall, I really thought it was just one file until I saw another and another.

EDIT So I followed most of the instructions for the MSI CleanUp Utility, now it says to delete the Paint directory. Which file would that be? There were multiple Paint.NET files, like on in AppData -> Roaming (or it may have been Local), one in Program Files (x86), etc.

Edited by Inoka1

Oh wow. I did the same thing as you inoka. I wanted to delete paint.net because i downloaded a plugin pack that had too many plugins, i also wanted to see if i could delete something by

just deleting the folder. Well i get the same thing you get when installing and this when i try to uninstall:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run.

Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Any help please?

Yes, this:

Check out the stick(ied) posts in this forum ... there's an MSI Cleanup Utility that usually fixes things here.

you'll find the thread Rick is talking about here: http://forums.getpai...uble-read-this/

• 2 weeks later...

No. At least you've learned how NOT TO uninstall a program boltbait.hmm.png

• 2 months later...

Windows Installer CleanUp utility seems to be the last tool in my kit. Sorry. :/