Randomize layers

i believe Jumble is what you would need-- it takes a picture, cuts it into blocks(you choose the size) and randomly Jumbles them up

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8043-curtis-plugin-pack-update-for-354/page__view__findpost__p__348927__hl__jumble__fromsearch__1

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

I think there is a plugin called Jigsaw that does something like this. I might be wrong, search for it in the Plugins section.

Didn't find any plugin called Jigsaw :S

i believe Jumble is what you would need-- it takes a picture, cuts it into blocks(you choose the size) and randomly Jumbles them up

http://forums.getpai...__fromsearch__1

I know about that plugin, have used it before ;)

.. but it's not the plugin I need. This plugin jumble your layer, not the layers. I have a shadow on each layer, and therefor Jumble will not work.

What are you trying to achieve?

Making the layers in a random order.. :

Making:

[Layer 1]

[Layer 2]

[Layer 3]

[Layer 4]

[Layer 5]

Into:

[Layer 4]

[Layer 2]

[Layer 5]

[Layer 1]

[Layer 3]

If you got a lot of layer, it takes forever too make it look randomized :S

I asked what you are trying to achieve, not how you are trying to achieve it.

If your goal is to randomize the locations of the shadows, then you could put all of the shadows on one layer and use Jumble.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I asked what you are trying to achieve, not how you are trying to achieve it.

If your goal is to randomize the locations of the shadows, then you could put all of the shadows on one layer and use Jumble.

What? no...

I'm trying to make the layers in a random order.... I can easily do it manually, but it does take time!

ohh and: shadow + "big pixel!"

Edited by xmariusx

But why? To what end?

Sorry, I'm not from an English talking country

What does "To what end?" means.. "why?" ?

Anyways, if you look at my first picture, I need the pixels too look like they are in different.. "length from your eyes"... or something. So it look 3D

EDIT:

Sadly, the layer ordering cannot be changed by a plugin.

Okey, any other way to this.. other than moving each single of them to a random place?

Edited by xmariusx

Anyways, if you look at my first picture, I need the pixels too look like they are in different.. "length from your eyes"... or something. So it look 3D

So then what I said before will work. You only need 2 layers. Bottom layer is the pixel blocks, and top layer is the shadows. Then use the jumble plugin, set to the same size as the pixel blocks, on the "shadow" layer to mix it up.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

So then what I said before will work. You only need 2 layers. Bottom layer is the pixel blocks, and top layer is the shadows. Then use the jumble plugin, set to the same size as the pixel blocks, on the "shadow" layer to mix it up.

The problem with having 2 layers is that the shadow will just be a bury line between the pixel blocks :S

EDIT: another problem is the edges, which leaves some places without shadow, since the edge don't have this... can't see any other way to to this than by doing it manually..

Edited by xmariusx

I whipped this up to test pyro's suggestion and it appears to be quite functional.

testcreeper.png

The start was a bit tedious, but here's what I did.

1. Run grid/checkerboard maker with a paintbrush size of 2 and the drawing position centered on crossing.

2. Delete sides of the cells 4 times in each possible combination (all sides, all but left/right/top/bottom, left and right/top/bottom, right and top/bottom, top and bottom, none but left/right/top/bottom, none). As shown in the parenthesis, there are a total of 16 combinations. It should look something like this:

pattern.png

3. Run jumble to randomize the pattern

4. If you don't want shadows on the edge, erase the lines there.

5. Go to your creeper color layer and select every other cell. (ignore the mouth)

6. Go back to the shadows layer and run gaussian blur at 2 pixels.

7. Invert selection and hit delete

8. Duplicate the shadows layer twice, merge 2 of them, and blur the other at 5 pixels

9. Set the merged layers opacity to 240 and the one you blurred to 200

10. To bevel your cells, just select every other one as before and run bevel selection, then invert selection and bevel again.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I whipped this up to test pyro's suggestion and it appears to be quite functional.

testcreeper.png

The start was a bit tedious, but here's what I did.

1. Run grid/checkerboard maker with a paintbrush size of 2 and the drawing position centered on crossing.

2. Delete sides of the cells 4 times in each possible combination (all sides, all but left/right/top/bottom, left and right/top/bottom, right and top/bottom, top and bottom, none but left/right/top/bottom, none). As shown in the parenthesis, there are a total of 16 combinations. It should look something like this:

pattern.png

3. Run jumble to randomize the pattern

4. If you don't want shadows on the edge, erase the lines there.

5. Go to your creeper color layer and select every other cell. (ignore the mouth)

6. Go back to the shadows layer and run gaussian blur at 2 pixels.

7. Invert selection and hit delete

8. Duplicate the shadows layer twice, merge 2 of them, and blur the other at 5 pixels

9. Set the merged layers opacity to 240 and the one you blurred to 200

10. To bevel your cells, just select every other one as before and run bevel selection, then invert selection and bevel again.

O.o thx for this! :D

uhh.. didn't work exactly like I wanted it too (some places it's no shadows between the pixel blocks), but.. :S

Thanks anyways ;)

Edited by xmariusx

If you really have random depths, you will probably have some blocks the same distance from the camera, so that makes some sense, even if it looks a little odd. If you have all the blocks beveled, it shouldn't be an issue :) happy rendering!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I am not sure if I understood your question, but try these steps:

1-Open 800 by 800 new file

2-Put Dark green and white for primary and secondary.

3-Make a Linear Gradient from top/left corner to bottom/right corner

4-Distort with Pixelate to 100

5-Add new layer and Run Grid/Checkerboard maker with these settings:

-Horizontal=100

-Vertical=100

-Mode=Checker Board

-Drawing position=Centered on crossing

6-Using Global Flood Mode, select one of the cells with Magic Wand and delete this layer

7-Keeping the selection, add new layer and Bevel Selection plugin to 3 or as desired

8-Invert Selection, and Bevel Selection but switch the white and black colors.

9-Deselect, Flatten image and run Jumble to 8 for horizontal and vertical, repeat the Jumble as desired.

• 12 years later...
On 8/15/2011 at 6:57 PM, Rick Brewster said:

Sadly, the layer ordering cannot be changed by a plugin.

Hi, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Might I ask why a plugin is unable to alter the order of layers, and whether there exists some other method that might be used to "shuffle" layers? I'm asking because I recently discovered the G'MIC plugin which can be used to create montages from the layers of an image, and it would be useful to be able to randomise the order of layers so that the resulting montage isn't just the order in which the source material was imported as layers.

Effect plugins have the following limitations:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/14566-what-is-and-isnt-possible-when-writing-plugins/

The only way this could be done is if someone created a filetype plugin that output individual layers in random order into a file which would then have to be opened.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 10:25 AM, BoltBait said:

Effect plugins have the following limitations:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/14566-what-is-and-isnt-possible-when-writing-plugins/

The only way this could be done is if someone created a filetype plugin that output individual layers in random order into a file which would then have to be opened.

Thanks for the link and the suggestion of how such a plugin might be created. It sounds a bit like the way the G'MIC montage works, whereby an image with many layers is formed into a single layer and saved to a file which must then be opened if further editing is necessary, only in the case of a "layer shuffler" the saved image would retain the layers, just in a new order. Currently I just import images as layers and shuffle them manually before applying the montage effect, which can be a bit laborious when the number of source images is large. I just created one with 88. Perhaps if I find myself having to create many more of these, it'd be worth me investing the time to learn how to author my own filetype plugin. Cheers🙂

Edited by minipc
typo correction