Lord of War style picture?

Lyra

Hello. I have a question that's been frustrating me for awhile now. I recently saw the Lord of War poster (http://movieposters....Lord-of-War.jpg) and since then I've wanted to create something similar to it. I'm not exactly sure what the style of it is called and searching for tutorials hasn't been a whole lot of help.

The image I want to do this on is a vector. I have a feeling alpha masking is going to be important and I've messed around in pdn for awhile trying to use it, however the results have been...less than spectacular. Can anyone please point me in the right direction on how to even attempt this? I'm not trying to make an image of the exact same quality but something similar would be nice.

Thank you for your time.

Hue & Saturation, Brightness and Contrast, 4 images of bullet shells (one horizontal and another angled of 2 shells (one more if you want to do the collar too)), and lots of well-thought out copy/pasting.

I imagine there is an easier way to do it, probably even easier with a specialized program, but if I were to attempt it in pdn, that's how I would do it.

Some tips to speed up the process:

~Use layers. Paste new bullets onto new layers, adjust their colors, then merge them with the bullets layer.

~For a large patch of very small bullets of the same size, just paste large numbers of them and put them all on one layer (don't bother coloring them...they should all be greyscale when you do this), then set the layer blend mode to multiply. You should have at least two such layers with two sizes of small bullets so that you can "gradually" make the change to large ones

~For changing the color on larger bullets, use the "color balance" adjustment (you may have to download it from the plugins section).

~To help you with making the colors of the large bullets more accurate, put each new one on its own layer with the layer blend mode set to "difference." Adjust the color until the bullet appears mostly black (the shadows and highlights may appear to be a different color, but if the shadows are close to the same hue as the desired color and the non-shaded/highlighted parts are black, you have the right color)

Please note that my method is very time consuming and tedious and that there may be better solutions out there. If you keep searching, you may find your answer some time or another :)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

You're going to need this plugin: Mosaic Maniac Collage Paint, and a host of smaller images to make up the larger image (like the bullets for hair in your example).

The plugin thread has a pretty good description of how to use it, unfortunately the images don't seem to be loading boltbait.sad.png

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies! Downloading the plugin now, and I'll be sure to use your methods to speed things up pdnnoob. You guys are lifesavers.

Thank you very much, EER, for the plugin! I'll be downloading that one too :3

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Pdnnoob & mountnman: you're welcome! (It's a bad habit of mine to have an encyclopedic knowledge of plugins).